Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Concrete Flooring questions

I really have my heart set on polished concrete floors and wanted to know more about them before I go get bids.

I know this is a Do it Yourself forum but I do know that contractors come on here and I would really like an unbiased opinion. I know in my heart I do not hold the ability to do such a complicated process.

Anyway here are my questions:
  • What is the benefits of Polished vs Epoxy? (in terms of over all life of the floor)
  • Is it possible to polish the underlying concrete that is already in a house if it is in good condition and not in need of repair? or is it manditory to lay new concrete?

Grofica82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

you can polish your existing concrete. the concrete will need a protective coating. the problem with epoxy coatings is that they will amber and chalk over time. i would use a polyurethane that is designed for concrete. http://surecretedesignproducts.thoma...ncrete-sealers

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
you can polish your existing concrete. the concrete will need a protective coating. the problem with epoxy coatings is that they will amber and chalk over time. i would use a polyurethane that is designed for concrete. http://surecretedesignproducts.thoma...ncrete-sealers
Does that have the same really high gloss finish?

How long does an epoxy floor usually last...

I am still unsure which version of concrete I really like but i want really strong colors...

Something like this is what i am trying to shoot for...

Grofica82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

That looks like epoxy.POLISHING in side a home might not be cost effective.A lot of grinding and polishing.You wont be living there while it's being done.About 6.00 sq. ft.dye/wax/sealer.Up to 2000 grit. All Home Depot stores are dyed, polished floors .Good Luck, Ken.

We all no alot but can only do a little------.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

A polished concrete floor will last 2 lifetimes plus 5 days.Epoxy floors do need a little work now an then.Look for an Elite crete installer in your area.The epoxy floors are next to none when it comes to looks.The REFLECTOR floors are perfect inside homes.Go to elitecrete.com. good luck,Ken.

We all no alot but can only do a little-------.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote