Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

concrete floor in bathroom

I am in the process of renovating my 2nd floor bathroom.

It originally had a tile floor with a 2-3 inches of concrete underneath.

I tore up the old tile and all the concrete to expose the floor joists and subfloor.

The floor joists were beveled on the tops for some reason...so the tops of the joists look like a upside down "V".

I want to put new tile down but I'm not sure if I should rebuilt the subfloor with sister joists, 3/4" plywood and then 1/4" concrete backerboard.

Or should I just pour new concrete and then tile on top of that?

Thanks!
cmt9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #2

I'm in a similar boat....... I have yet to demo cement. I'm wondering if I have to remove all concrete or just enough to remove the tile then resurface with a self leveling product? Also
what did you use to remove the concrete? How long did it take? My area is 5x5.

Thanks!!!
camiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #3

My guess is that the concrete you took out was actuall a "mud pan" that is poured by a tile contractor. 99% of the time you need to use a backerboard. Look at Dita from Schluter systems, and use NON-modified thinset for installation if you use Ditra. You can find more info at www.schlutersystems.com and you can also get info on proper sub floor requirements to install your tile the right way.
BrentCos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #4

camiam, it was actually fairly easy to remove. I just used a 2-pound sledge hammer to break it up. The clean-up was the worst part.

BrentCos - can you use cement? Say I lay laydown a sheet of 3/4" ply, and then use 2" of self-leveling cement over that, and then the tile. Do you think that would work?
cmt9000 is offline   Reply With Quote