Concrete Floor In Bathroom - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete floor in bathroom

We are in the middle of a major bathroom remodel and looking for help with the Shower. We need to build a custom pan where the old shower and tub were but the concrete and drains are challenging us.
1. The old shower floor pan is on a recessed part of the slab about 2" below floor level. We would like to bring the entire floor to one level sloping to the drain. Should we build it up to floor level or cut out the existing floor area and re-pour the slab?
2. We are not sure whether to use the second tub drain it the new shower pan or just cap it off. It is only about 34" away from the shower drain.
Hopefully these pictures will help explain our predicament.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete floor in bathroom-img_0404.jpg   Concrete floor in bathroom-img_0405.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by markm50; 08-18-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Need Replies?
markm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Hi Mark,

You didn't say what the size of the new shower will be. The shower drain should be installed as close to center as possible. Also the drain needs to be 2" pipe, the tub drain assembly is probably 1 1/2"?

Start with that info.

Jaz

Advertisement

JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi Mark,

You didn't say what the size of the new shower will be. The shower drain should be installed as close to center as possible. Also the drain needs to be 2" pipe, the tub drain assembly is probably 1 1/2"?

Start with that info.

Jaz
Jazzman,

Current shower size is 36X36 with a 2" drain close to but not directly on center. The new shower width will be 48" wide with an walk-in opening at the left, (handicap accessible). I am thinking I need to saw the slab to the size new with of 48" and probably 60" deep to make a new pan for the new wet area. If I do that I might as well have a plumber rough the drain in
the center of the new floor.
Mark
markm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

I think you're right? That floor and drain needs to be removed and reconfigured. As for the shower its self, you should consider using the Schluter kerdi Drain system, it's the only way to go I think. http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx

Jaz
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote