Concrete Floor, Adhesive Coating, And Tiling - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Floor, Adhesive Coating, and Tiling

Hello,

I've appreciated the help that I've received before in these forums and so I'm back again.

There is a coating on our concrete kitchen floor (see pictures). It's black, thin (like paint), tarrish, but not sticky to the touch. I believe it has been on this concrete for a very, very long time (~30 years, I'd wager).

1) Is it absolutely necessary to remove this in order to obtain good bonds using thinset mortar?
2) It is gumming up my sandpaper very quickly - is there a better way to remove it?
3) If blasting is the only way to remove it, will this make a mess of our new cabinets?
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Floor, Adhesive Coating, and Tiling-dscn0440.jpg   Concrete Floor, Adhesive Coating, and Tiling-dscn0442.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Scarlo; 01-13-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Scarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

Hi Carlo, (?)

That black stuff is an asphalt based adhesive used for the original VAT or asphalt tiles the builder installed when the house was built. It's commonly known as cut-back.

You can tile over it with a modified thin set mortar that claims to be compatible with it. You should first scrape, cut, as much off as possible. http://www.core-industrial.com/manag...28Small%29.jpg Scrape until you can almost see concrete.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you JazMan, I'll get right on that.
Scarlo is offline   Reply With Quote