Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete Basement Floor Prep

Hello all,

First post here. I've been reading posts for a little while, and have found some great advice so thanks to the forum. I tried to find an answer for this particular question (actually a few, so I'll probably be posting more questions) by searching, but had little luck so here goes.

I bought my house in February 2008. It was a vacant house (older woman had moved away and left the realtor in charge) that had a minor flood when a water pipe burst between the first and second floors. It was discovered quickly, and a flood abatement team was hired to remove the damaged flooring and dry the house out. So, I bought the house as is for a pretty steep reduction in price. It's been a work in progress ever since.

I'm currently trying to set the basement up as a game area (poker and ping pong mostly) and gym space. Nothing fancy, really. I'm not in a position to finish the basement, so I'm just trying to make it hospitable. Anyway, the basement was originally partially "finished" with some kind of glued flooring and a drop ceiling on one half, and the other half was used as a workshop for art projects and framing projects.

I removed the wall to rejoin to the two halves and want to either paint the concrete floor, or put down a product like Rustoleum's EPOXY SHIELD.

So first I need to clean the floor. The questions I have:

1) There is what appears to be some adhesive residue on one side of the basement from either glued carpet or linoleum. It's not really raised, but it's noticeable. Do I need to remove this before I point/epoxy the floor? If so, how?

2) The side of the basement used as a workshop has stains from, well, stain. I believe the original owner used this half of the basement to stain frames he used for his artwork. Pretty much the same question as above. Should I / How do I remove the stains from the stain?

I've attached pictures that I hope help demonstrate what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Basement Floor Prep-img_0556.jpg   Concrete Basement Floor Prep-img_0557.jpg   Concrete Basement Floor Prep-img_0555.jpg  

BillyPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Painting over cut back is just a bad idea.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

I agree with Peter. I think most guys that do epoxy would either shot blast the floor or grind it off of there. You can rent a grinder at most tool rental shops. One of the big walk behind ones would get that adhesive removed in no time.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

Ok, so I am curious, I am 90% done installing porcelain tiles over 2 year old basment concrete. I sealed the concrete at the time of my pour. I used a modified dry mix mortor from a local flooring store and so far, all looks to be great. A friend stoped in and asked how I stripped off the sealer?? Opps! I didn't! And thoughts on if this will last or am I going to have delam problem later??
Crazy123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, cleaning cement, concrete, flooring