Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
SJC

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Concrete alb preparation for Laminate (click together) flooring

Folks,

To make a long story short...we moved into a house in which we had to remove all the old carpeting and old tile underneath it...which left us walking on the concrete slab. We ended up painting the slab with concrete paint until we had the funds to replace all the flooring. Anyway we want to install bamboo Laminate (no glue flooring) in 3 of the rooms....I understand the concrete slab should be real close to level...so down to the home improvement store to obtain the necessary items...when bam...it hit me...it would appear that I must remove the paint from the concrete slab in order to use the Self Leveling Compound because it must adhere to the slab....I really do not wnat to remove it.....its a job I would not look forward to doing. Is there something I can use to level the areas of my concrete slab without having to remove the paint? Initially I was thinking I could use Red Guard on top of this paint which would be taky upon drying that would allow the Self Leveling Compound to adhere to it.....not sure that the right way to go.

Any suggestions?

SJC

SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,470

Concrete alb preparation for Laminate (click together) flooring

RedGard is not "tacky" when it dries. The paint would be a bond-breaker for the RedGard anyway maybe. You also can't use any chemical strippers 'cause that too would be a problem for the Self Leveller maybe.

The only acceptable way to remove sealers and paints from concrete in preparation for the addition of any Portland products is to mechanically abrade the surface. Shot blast, sand blast, grind, something like that.

Don't confuse the condition of "level" with the condition of "plane" or "flat". Your floor doesn't necessarily have to be as level as it does flat. If the surface is "rugged" for some reason then I see why you want to use SLC but if it's just crooked and flat that's a different story and may be acceptable for your intended flooring.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote