COMPLETE Subfloor Removal - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2005, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

COMPLETE subfloor removal

Hello-
I've browsed through this site and have found lots of info on replacing sections of subfloor. However, is there any reasonably easy process of replacing an entire subfloor? I'm looking to purchase a house that needs considerable work. I've noticed that there is a hole through the existing subfloor near the front door. I suspect the door is not properly flashed, and water has leaked in. Anyhow, since all of the carpet and finish flooring is worthless, and it is a smaller house (~900 s.f.), i figured I might replace the entire subfloor. The question is, what to do at exterior walls? I had some crazy scheme of jacking the entire house up off the subfloor, but there must be some easier method. Anyone done this beofre, or have an idea?

Advertisement

alexschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

Jacking up the house won't do any good. Saw the subfloor out as close as you can to the wall. you'll probably leave an inch and a half or so, but it shouldn't hurt anything. Be back later with more detail.

Advertisement

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Alex,

Jacking up the entire house, while a noble idea, is a very expensive undertaking. All the plumbing and electrical has to be disconnected and this type of job is not a DIY'er job!!

The best thing to do is to cut the flooring and sub-flooring with a reciprocating saw (generically know as a sawsall) flush with the walls.

Then you can tear it up and install all new sub and finish flooring.

I've done it this way on many jobs, especially in bathrooms.

Good luck!!:D
CarpenterDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 548

My "more detail" was in regards to the idea of jacking up the house, and was pretty much covered by Don. (plumbing, electrical, the nails holding the walls to the floor, etc.)
Good luck Alex, let us know how it goes :D
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Jacking up the house no. As has been covered the only reason I would jack up a house would be for to get the floor level or to get head space in a low basement.
As for cutting and removing all the subfloor it may or may not need to be done. After ripping up the remnants I would determine from there. Say if it does need to be all be removed using a flush cut saw would be the way to go. You would also have to block every joist bay to connect old floor to new sub-floor.
JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote