Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

compensating for flooring-cabinets

I am installing my cabinets first, as I need a functioning kitchen.

I will be installing hardwood which is most likely 3/4". How do I compensate for the flooring. Do I lay the cabinets on a 3/4" sleepers (fir out) or just throw a new sheet of ply down the perimeter of the cabinets?

thanks, Tina

toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

put down a strip of 3/4 under the cabinets. Just measure the toekick to the back of the cabinet and try to hold it back from the front edge a bit so you get a tight joint against the cabinets. The flooring most likely will be a touch thicker than 3/4 ply so sliding underneath is probably not going to happen

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
put down a strip of 3/4 under the cabinets. Just measure the toekick to the back of the cabinet and try to hold it back from the front edge a bit so you get a tight joint against the cabinets. The flooring most likely will be a touch thicker than 3/4 ply so sliding underneath is probably not going to happen

skymaster thanks for your advice I will go with it.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #4

I always advise my clients to not lay hardwood in wet areas like kitchens & baths. A lot of clients insist, so I do the installs for them. The one thing I'm real adamant about though is that they lay the wood under the cabinets & not just up to them. The main reason is if you get a leak in the dishwasher, ice maker or sink, then by the time the leak is discovered, there's a lot of damage. Because the water leaches under the floor instead of showing up on top. A small leak will take days to show up on the surface. By the time is shows on the surface, there's a lot of water underneath & over a lot larger area than if it leaked out in front of the cabinets from the top.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
The main reason is if you get a leak in the dishwasher, ice maker or sink, then by the time the leak is discovered, there's a lot of damage. Because the water leaches under the floor instead of showing up on top. A small leak will take days to show up on the surface. By the time is shows on the surface, there's a lot of water underneath & over a lot larger area than if it leaked out in front of the cabinets from the top.
Pinwheel thanks for the tip. However I do need the kitchen now and flooring is a special order a few weeks away.

I understand your theory. No dishwasher and the fridge will sit on top of floor.
My only suspect would be the sink. Pipes jet out from wall. I believe the water would then pool in the cabinet until if finds the path of least resistance. I'll put some caulking at the the back so the water will migrate to the front.

If the leak is behind the wall then I would be screwed either way. The drywall and studs would absorb the water first. I'll caulk around the hot and cold as a precaution as well.

Tina