Combining Carpet With Laminte - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

combining carpet with laminte

I will be building a new home in the spring. My Great Room, Kitchen and Dining Area is all open. I am using laminate in the Kitchen and Dining Area but would like carpet in the Great Room. I am not crazy about the abrupt halt of the laminate and the start of the carpet. I could do the entire project in laminate and then put an area rug or bound carpet down but that seems like a waste. Has anyone ever seen or thought about making a border around the carpet with laminate. The affect would be the same, but I don't know if it would like right or if I would regret not doing the entire floor in laminate later on. I would never just have laminate without carpet in the Great Room.

Advertisement

twohad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohad2 View Post
I will be building a new home in the spring. My Great Room, Kitchen and Dining Area is all open. I am using laminate in the Kitchen and Dining Area but would like carpet in the Great Room. I am not crazy about the abrupt halt of the laminate and the start of the carpet. I could do the entire project in laminate and then put an area rug or bound carpet down but that seems like a waste. Has anyone ever seen or thought about making a border around the carpet with laminate. The affect would be the same, but I don't know if it would like right or if I would regret not doing the entire floor in laminate later on. I would never just have laminate without carpet in the Great Room.
I would put down all laminate and use area rugs. Area rugs are much easier to clean and can be replaced easily if damaged.

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

It's not a waste when you consider it is a sweet design.
If you try to sell a home that has a border of lam, then future buyers might not appreciate them being "forced" into that plan.
Go with the rugs IMO.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice. I think I knew all laminate and then area rugs would be the best way to go I just hated the thought of putting down a beautiful laminate floor and then covering it up. Putting a laminate border would suit but like said, a future buyer might not appreciate it.
twohad2 is offline   Reply With Quote