Close A Gap Between Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Close a Gap Between Floors

On the left side we have the Living Room, on the right we have a hallway. These are both 2 1/4 in wide hardwood.

In between, there was a closet, about 3 feet deep. The floor of the closet was 10 inch wide pine flooring.

Down comes the closet to open up the floor plan and make the room "less isolated". That part went pretty well.

Now I have 2 1/4 in hardwood leading to a 3 foot stretch of 10 in wide pine leading to 2 1/4 in hardwood.

I want to break up the wide pine and get it out of there and "blend" in a "patch" of 2 1/4 in hardwood, matching the color as best as possible. If I do it quick, I will wind up with two lines in the flooring, where both sides met the wide pine. Someone told me to rip up the last pieces of hardwood as they touched the wide pine area, but that hardwood stuff is nailed down pretty good. And of course, some of the boards are relatively short, others look like they're 5 or 6 feet long. And ripping it out is likely to cause more damage...

I am looking for ideas!

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Close a Gap Between Floors

You have to weave in the replacement boards so the repair does not show.
There removed by making two cuts about 1/2 apart in the middle of the boards and use an ossilating saw to cut the very ends of the board. Lift out the center section. I use a chisle or a flat bar to dif into what's left and hammer it toward the cut out area. Once it out use channel locks or a end cut plyers to pull the nails.
Cut the tounge off of the new boards and cut to length. apply PL adhesive to the floor and drop them in place.
There's going to be some issues in trying to do this job. New unfinish hardwood is more then likly not going to be the same thickness.
Matching the stain can be a challange. Really need to do some trial samples.

May want to concider hiring this one out to a real floor company.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote