Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |

Clear Hardwood Floor Finish With Buildup

In my house, there used to be carpet throughout - underneath was beautiful hardwood floors on the first floor.

In the stairwell up to the second floor, and the hallway on the second floor, the original wide-plank flooring is uncovered by carpet - and I like it this way. the bedrooms I'm putting in carpet (theres a plywood subfloor in both), but I want to preserve the stairwell and hallway's nice planks. So in those areas, I'd like to put on a clear finish that I can build up.

Its only me and my girlfriend in the house, so not much traffic other than our dog. I'm ok with anything from a satin finish to a glossy finish, either way I think the floor will look fantastic - but I definitely want a built up coat over the original floor. So, any recommendations on product? Minwax I saw has a product for floors - http://www.minwax.com/products/prote...super-fast.cfm - is it worthwhile? Any others to look at?

Thanks for any info
CuCullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
PK.

Check out the Varathane.
PK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #3

About the only difference in a normal polyurethane and a floor polyurethane is that they shoot Japan Drier in it to make it dry faster and double the price. Especially with the Minwax products. I've heard a lot of people use Varathane though I've never carried it and I haven't looked into it too much. A regular high build polyurethane is really all you need. Or an acrylic floor urethane if you want to avoid any ambering over time.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
A regular high build polyurethane is really all you need. Or an acrylic floor urethane if you want to avoid any ambering over time.
Thats what I picked up - thanks! I looked at Varathane, but WOW was it pricey. Since my floor has an amber color to it already, I'm ok with high build polyurethane - now I just need to find a few hours without a girlfriend, dog, or work so I can get the job done

Thanks again
CuCullin is offline   Reply With Quote