Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #1

Share |

cleaning off grout

I just grouted the tile I laid in my bathroom. I'm having a really tough time cleaning it off the tiles. At this point it is more than just a film as the tile has a texture to it, and the grout is setting up in the nooks and crannies on top of the tile. It is a porcelain tile. I mixed the grout to the exact ratio on the bag.

Last edited by roost; 05-11-2008 at 09:44 PM.
roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #2

cleaning off grout

You're going to have to get into a chemical to remove the excess, any good tile store will have it. You not only will have grout film but more than likely efflourescence happening at this point as you've probably tried to wash them too many times already trying to get it off. It's hard with a textured tile to get it off, but you need to use a NYLON bristle brush in the future and scrub each tile individually, being careful not to touch the grout joints themselves and dig it back out, then go across with the sponge and clean up the mess. Since you're already past that you'll need a chemical to break down the grout and a heavy duty NYLON bristle brush ( I stress nylon only because I don't want you using metal, not that it would hurt the tile, it probably wouldn't being porcelain, BUT bits come off in TINY TINY pieces and get stuck in the joints and in time start to rust and wreck your grout job!) that or a heavy duty straw like bristle like you'd use on a driveway, something very coarse. ALWAYS be careful with these chemicals, follow ALL the safety info. glasses, gloves, mask, open window....they're not just for decoration they really mean it, this stuff is nasty!

dochorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #3

cleaning off grout

Thanks for the reply. I have already started doing what you have suggested. I am going to have to remove some of the grout and re-grout. I think after I am done, if that day ever happens, I will recolor the grout to get a consistent color. I'm using muriatic acid diluted 10:1 with a stiff nylon brush and a wooden dowel with a sharp end. After several minutes of scrubbing I take a wet sponge and wipe, wring it out, and wipe again. Don't know if this is proper procedure but seems logical.

Last edited by roost; 05-13-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #4

cleaning off grout

Yes, although you have to be careful with muriatic acid, it really is too strong for tile so make sure you keep your dillution low. It's alot of work and elbow grease for sure....keep at it, you'll get there!

There are excellent epoxy based grout paints out there that will do exactly that for you. They're about 60 bux a bottle, but one should do your job.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

cleaning off grout

Aqua Mix makes grout colorants that work very well. About $25 per bottle.

http://www.aquamix.com/products/pg_d...5042&pgid=8374

Make sure you have fresh water rinsed your tile and grout VERY WELL before you attempt to restain the grout. Maybe a few rinses each done with clean water.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #6

cleaning off grout

Angus242,

25 bux?? WOW!! We buy Aquamix from the same place we buy out TEC colourant and BOTH are retail of 59.95 at our store, we can't buy either of them cheaper than the other from our supplier. I know stuff always costs more up here, but I didn't quite realise HOW MUCH more!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

cleaning off grout

Dochorn,

Do I assume "up here" means the Great White North?

Angus
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #8

cleaning off grout

Angus,

It's not white anymore, it was 21 today....that's what about...72-75 ish in your terms? But yes.....that's what I mean.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

cleaning off grout

I wonder if that's why there's such a big difference in price? I thought the US dollar was in the crapper so I assume pricing would be similar. I'm definitely not an economist.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #10

cleaning off grout

It is, but it doesn't seem to matter. Our dollar has been as close to yours as it's ever been or atleast been in a long long time, but they've not adjusted a damn thing for us. The car companys apparantly are offering American pricing, but that's only because so many people were crossing the border to save between 5,000-10,000 on a vehicle. Oh, and I think some places sell books at the US listed price too, whoopeeee!! We're paying on average as of late about 1.245- 1.26 for a litre of gas (equivilant to about $4.72 a gallon) I'm sure you're not paying that are you???
Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #11

cleaning off grout

I've just about cleaned up my grout disaster. I now need to think about regrouting. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I'm not going to spread it all over the textured tiles, so was wondering if anything is made to target the grooves only, kind of like a cake decorating bag. Again, this is textured tile and has been a bear to clean off the grout.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

cleaning off grout

They do make a grout bag but I doubt it will help your situation. Sorry to say, the best way to grout is with a good float and proper procedure. Maybe work in small sections this time. If you only have to clean a 3' x 3' section at a time maybe it will be easier for you.
Don't get discouraged. You had a bad experience but it can be done.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #13

cleaning off grout

Yes, although you have to be careful with muriatic acid, it really is too strong for tile so make sure you keep your dillution low. It's alot of work and elbow grease for sure....keep at it, you'll get there!

Chandler Carpet Cleaning

tokmik is offline   Reply With Quote