DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cleaning concrete for staining

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  IceT 
#1 ·
Pulled up all my carpet, I'm going to stain the concrete it has paint spots on it. The paint spots are, I'm guessing 25 years old. :laughing:
I want something easy and fast or will it just stain the paint spots?
I need help.

#2 ·
Pulled up all my carpet, I'm going to stain the concrete it has paint spots on it. The paint spots are, I'm guessing 25 years old. :laughing:
I want something easy and fast or will it just stain the paint spots?
I need help.
For easy & fast, call to have carpet installed! Just kidding. I've used everything from rub bricks, paint thinner, paint scrapers, all the way to big grinding stones mounted to our finishing machine. I don't think your going to find anything that's going to take paint off of the concrete instantly. Every way I know of involves some level of elbow grease.

If you're using a reactive stain, definately don't try using any muriatic acid.

Also, if you have pvc plumbing pipes in your house, you should know that there may be glue stains lurking in your floor that don't show up until AFTER you stain.

#4 ·
OK it won't be easy and fast. The stain I have picked out is Quikrete Etching Stain. It's a 3 step process not counting cleaning. 1. Etching Stain 2. High Gloss Sealer 3. Clear Epoxy Finish. Coffee color.
Whats reactive stain? and Muriatic Acid? sounds serious.
I don't mind using some elbow grease makes you appreciate it more. :)

#5 ·
Shanna, I have no experience with the Quikcrete system. If it's an etching stain, it may or may not be an acid stain. If it were an acid, you cannot use muratic acid first, as it will leave no substrate behind for the stain to react to. If it is something along the line of a water-borne stain, it may hide more existing slab imperfections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.