Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Chipping out recent mortar???

I recently had a tile job done in my condo. 235sq ft including the shower walls. Job was about 90% complete when I finally had enough of the hack job the tile guy was doing. I had a different tile guy come in to finish when he noticed the tiles were set over poor linoleum and easily popped up. He told me what this would look like in 6 months and recommended I redo the bathroom floor. The kitchen was also put over lino and I was unsure about the strength of this also. The front door and hallway was installed on the old concrete floor that originally had tiles. This tile was impact-hammered out and new thinset/mortar was put over it. I decided to demo the entire project and start frech will better quality work.

My Question:

I need to remove the thinset/mortar that was put down... Should I just use a impact hammer it again? And then level the floor with new mortar/thinset??
Attached Thumbnails
Chipping out recent mortar???-dscf0250.jpg   Chipping out recent mortar???-dscf0251.jpg   Chipping out recent mortar???-dscf0245.jpg  

dolvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Tile Setter

Hello,

I would use my BullDog, a small powered chipping/rotary hammer, with a chisel bit to chip off the old thinset. After the bulk of it was removed, I might then use a diamond cup wheel and my grinder to smooth the floor (if you do this, you have to plastic off all the other rooms). But if the thinset came up without leaving too many humps behind, I could probably forgo getting it perfectly smooth and make it work with the new thinset when setting the new tile.

Of course, it is easier to install on a smooth floor, especially for the DIYer.

- Bob

Tileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #3

Bob,

This is what I think I am going to do. I tried the diamond grinder today in on another part of my floor and was smoked out seconds later... I will impact it all out and have the tile guy make a smooth bed! Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #4

First off I would be suing the original guy who did this. If he was a contractor you can go to the state and get all the money back to have it done right.

Then I would call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. You need to stop this guy from doing this to someone else.

There are just to many of these guys around that make the rest of us look bad.

Next issue is that you have to have a flat floor. I suggest that you scrape what you can and then tap the rest with a hammer to break it up. The reason is that you don't want your floor to get too high. It will cause problems with doors closing and transitions to other rooms.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
First off I would be suing the original guy who did this. If he was a contractor you can go to the state and get all the money back to have it done right.

Then I would call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. You need to stop this guy from doing this to someone else.

There are just to many of these guys around that make the rest of us look bad.

Next issue is that you have to have a flat floor. I suggest that you scrape what you can and then tap the rest with a hammer to break it up. The reason is that you don't want your floor to get too high. It will cause problems with doors closing and transitions to other rooms.
He was a discrace actually to anyone who does work in someones home. I actually told him I was paying his $2,900 bill and he just said "ok" like it was no big deal. This told me he knew he was doing a hack job and also that he was a piece of ****!

So I am not out any money as the tile place replaced my tile order. I have a nice tile guy coming tomorrow (the first guy also seemed nice but oh well) and I hope this turns for the better.

And right now I seem to be having some toilet flange issues as the screws are all loose. So another tradesman to come over and work!