Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #1

Share |

Checking Subfloor for Flatness

Hi,

I need some suggestions. How should I go about checking the subfloor for flatness. I'm installing 3/4" hardwood planks. The hardwood manufacture suggests no more than 1/8" tolerence over 6 feet of floor. I have a 6 foot straight edge level. Should I start from one end of the wall that is perpendicular to the floor joists and then reposition the straight edge every 6 feet acroos the floor until I reach the other end of the wall. If there are any dips greater than the tolerence suggested, I will use 15lb felt paper to fill in. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks Guys

markospencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Tileguy

A short (6ft) level won't show you where all the errors are if they are there, it will only follow most of them.

Stretch a string line across the surface in several places (wall to wall and corner to corner) for a more accurate picture of what your floor really looks like.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Start with two 3/4" plywood blocks in corners along a wall. Stretch a string tightly between them. Slide a third block in out under the string as you move from on corner to the next. Mark the distance on the floor that the block catches the string or clears it completely as the case may be. Move the blocks away from the corners about 2 feet and repeat. When you have gotten across the room, change directions and go across the room in the perpendicular direction. You will have a map of the high and low spots. You can then act on them. This method will NOT check a floor for level, but will give you an idea where the humps and sags are.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 09-12-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #4

I rolled a long piece of black iron pipe across my slab to locate the low spots, marked them with a marker, then filled them in with a leveling compound.
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Tileguy

Gevan,

That is a silly way to find where a floor is not flat. What if I don't have a black iron pipe handy?

All kindin aside, that is not a good method to use. How would you know how low the dip is? By how fast it rolls? Please.......

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Gevan,

That is a silly way to find where a floor is not flat. What if I don't have a black iron pipe handy?

All kindin aside, that is not a good method to use. How would you know how low the dip is? By how fast it rolls? Please.......

Jaz
Guess I should have explained!....lay the pipe on the slab, then sightalong the floor under the pipe..look at the gap between the pipe and the floor. As you slowly roll the pipe across the floor. the gap may become wider or deeper, or close completely. Mark the periphery of the low spot with a marker, then fill with floor leveling compound. I believe I used Plastipatch from Lowes. Worked great, but you only have about 3-4 minutes working time before it begins to set. I used a 8 foot section of pipe because I felt it was straighter than any piece of wood I could find.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Tileguy

Well.....OK? If you're doing leveling and tile work you have to have straight edges on hand. I can see that the way you did it can work. But you know the pipe will flex a little bit?

Yes SLC's are tuff to work with. You have to have a plan, plenty of material and help. Even then most jobs require 2,3,or even 4 pours to get it right.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Well.....OK? If you're doing leveling and tile work you have to have straight edges on hand. I can see that the way you did it can work. But you know the pipe will flex a little bit?

Yes SLC's are tuff to work with. You have to have a plan, plenty of material and help. Even then most jobs require 2,3,or even 4 pours to get it right.

Jaz
I didnt say it was easy....I said it worked for me!