Cheap Wood Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
It's all good fun.

Rewards Points: 10

Cheap Wood Flooring

Hi, I'm looking into doing a cheap (but good looking and wearing) wood flooring for my mountain home. I am considering getting wood from liquidator lumber places and then finishing it up with polyurethane coating.

I plan on having available:
- Router to re-do or make tongue & groove as necessary
- Planer, sander etc
-Table Saw etc

My thoughts are to maybe get some kiln dried lumber and then cut to correct sizer and setup the T&G on the boards after planing. I'm looking for the natural look (knot's n all) and would go with Oak preferably. Since I'll have workshop to hand I'll be able to replace and repair when need be.

Would appreciate any advice (or words from the wise).

Thanks. Please PM me with any good stores that do this kind of lumber (if appropriate). I'm in northern CA.

Advertisement

HobbyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Cheap Wood Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyMan View Post
Hi, I'm looking into doing a cheap (but good looking and wearing) wood flooring for my mountain home. I am considering getting wood from liquidator lumber places and then finishing it up with polyurethane coating.

I plan on having available:
- Router to re-do or make tongue & groove as necessary
- Planer, sander etc
-Table Saw etc

My thoughts are to maybe get some kiln dried lumber and then cut to correct sizer and setup the T&G on the boards after planing. I'm looking for the natural look (knot's n all) and would go with Oak preferably. Since I'll have workshop to hand I'll be able to replace and repair when need be.

Would appreciate any advice (or words from the wise).

Thanks. Please PM me with any good stores that do this kind of lumber (if appropriate). I'm in northern CA.
I would maybe consider getting a 3rd grade red oak flooring. In my opinion it is so cheap that it wouldn't even be worth the trouble of routing out the tongue and grooves on each board. I have seen this stuff as low as $1 per square foot, and you can get wider plank stuff for around $2.

Advertisement

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
It's all good fun.

Cheap Wood Flooring

Thanks for the quick response. Really appreciate it

Is this kiln dried wood you're talking about ? If so do you know which vendors are competitive and can deliver ?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
It's all good fun.

Cheap Wood Flooring

I'm guessing you're talking about something like this:

http://www.hursthardwoods.com/

Does this stuff typically have the T&G pre-cut or are they just plain boards ? I'll give the company a call closer to when I'm ready to do the floor project.

Love the look of the red oak and this is what I wanted in the first place. Very mountain home looking!!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Cheap Wood Flooring

No problem. glad to help. This stuff is dried and does include the tongue and groove. The link you included is exactly what I was referring to. I am not sure of any places online, as I get all of mine through a local supplier. However, if you just google 3rd grade red oak flooring, I am sure a ton will come up that will ship nation wide. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
It's all good fun.

Cheap Wood Flooring

Appreciate the help. I'm sure more questions will come up later on but I'm really just trying to get a feel for what the financials are. I see all the expensive hardwood flooring at Home Depot and the like and I'm thinking to myself, wood isn't that expensive! I guess I'm willing to put sweat equity into my home projects!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #7

Cheap Wood Flooring

No problem. Home Depot is actually cheap. I feel the same way every time our company has to buy wood for a job. I just know that I can find a better source, but I have yet to find it. Anytime a client of ours is working with a tight budget, I recommend a similar product. Their are endless possibilities of color options and things you can do with this including; herringbone, border, stain/dye, handscraping etc. Feel free to ask if any other questions come up.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
It's all good fun.

Cheap Wood Flooring

I have a huge Cedar tree on my property that will need to be taken down at some point as it is too close to the house. I reckon about 200BFt of wood there. Thinking about getting a portable Mill guy to chop it into boards once the lumberjacks take it down. Problem is that it's green and it will shrink significantly. Maybe I just need to hold it and then kiln dry it later. Will probably use it for decking though.

I really don't want to waste such a beautiful tree. I don't actually want to cut it down but since it's so close to the house it will get to the foundations. Tree height is about 100ft. Base is 4ft diameter.

Last edited by HobbyMan; 07-06-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

Cheap Wood Flooring

Sounds like a great idea. We did work for a guy that owned a tree service and milled and hand selected his own walnut over several years. It was one of the coolest floors we have done.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
It's all good fun.

Cheap Wood Flooring

Walnut is so beautiful. I would love to have that for flooring!! Got to live in the real world though!

Advertisement