Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic vs. Porcelain tile???

I need to tile about 30 sf of a bathroom and I was just curious as to if there was any advantage to using either of these two tiles??? Its going on a concrete floor. Thanks in advance for the help

timothy300858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
DIY staff

Both are 'ceramic'---porcelain is fired to a higher temperature---the advantage of porcelain over regular ceramic is not needed in a bathroom--so pick the one you like best and get to tiling--

Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Tileguy

Most floor tiles these days are "porcelain" since it doesn't cost much more to make than soft bisque ceramic. But yes, they're both ceramic. There used to be bi-cottura (double fired) tiles, we used to call them Italian quarry. But modern methods have changed all that. One reason tiles are so cheap these days.

Let us know which specific tile you're considering if there's a link to post. But in a bathroom floor, almost anything except 4x4 or 6x6 wall tiles or other soft bisque tiles will be fine.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

be careful of "glossy" tiles. when wet they can be slippery.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

Since you're tiling a bathroom floor, I wanted to suggest you pick smaller tiles for a couple of reasons. One, since your bathroom is small, large tiles (like 12x12 or 16x16) would look odd. And two, and more importantly, smaller tiles give you more grouted areas for better grip when you're walking around with wet feet.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Tileguy

Well........ If you go walking around with wet feet and there are no rugs, I too suggest smaller tiles. I don't find that to be the cases in my household. It all depends on your habits. Example, some people hop out of the tub and don't use a drying mat or don't dry off in the tub and then step on the towel or rug. Or maybe you have small kids that are hard to control.

You are supposed to dry off while still in the tub or shower stall if at all possible.

I also believe that the notion of not using larger tiles in small spaces in wrong. But everyone should go for whatever they think they're gonna like. If we were talking about the shower floor, my thoughts would be different.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
timothy300858 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I also believe that the notion of not using larger tiles in small spaces in wrong.
i also agree. i did a small bathroom with 18"x18" tiles. and it looked pretty darned good.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix'n it
i also agree. i did a small bathroom with 18"x18" tiles. and it looked pretty darned good.
Of course. The larger the tiles the more elegant.

I recall about 20 years ago in our home walking from the kitchen with a textured sheet vinyl, (Armstrong Designer Solarian), to the foyer with older smooth and shinny 8x8 Italian grazed quarry. Guess which was more slippery while wearing cotton socks? Yup, the textured sheet vinyl, the smooth/shinny quarry tile was not slick at all.

Get a sample and play with it before you decide.

Jaz