Ceramic Tiling - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Experienced

Rewards Points: 25

Ceramic tiling

So when tiling a bathroom where is the best place to start with the tiles? In a corner or centered?

Advertisement

Naz1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Ceramic tiling

That depends on the tile and the room itself.

Use a ruler and see how the cuts will look at the walls--tub or shower and door way.

Most tilers will actually use a chalk line and snap out a grid on the floor in a larger room--just to see how the outside cuts will look.

1/2 tile or more is ideal--slender slices of tile look bad and exaggerate and out of square issues with a room.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Ceramic tiling

I've had a few students ask this question and here's the answer they get, not that I teach this particular subject in the classroom. You need to find the exact center with a line running down the length of the room. You do this by measuring the center at one end and measuring the center on the other end. Drop a line on the floor from each of these points and that gives you a guide to run the tile so it looks straight with the walls when you're finished. Now measure across the room at 2 locations as far apart as you can and drop a line. Where the lines cross is the exact center of the room. Use the longest line as a guide to run a straight row of tile the length of the room. You'll use the crossing line as a starting point and work both directions from it. Make sure to use a 6ft level or straight edge to insure the row is straight. Allow the adhesive/thinset to dry. Using the spacers you want, lay the tile. By allowing the first row to dry and set, you now a plane to push and align the other tiles to. Doing tile work is actually easy. If buying a tile saw, use one that will work with the size tile you think you're going to be using. I usually recommend a table type tile saw as you can cut any size tile on it and most of the students are already trained on a table saw.
FWIW, most of the thinset adhesives are good for about 2 hours in the bucket. Make enough to do the job but make sure you can put it down in 2 hours or less. You can apply the thinset to the floor like a pro or you can also go the slow way and apply it to the tile and then lay it down. Which ever way you feel comfy doing it. If using a porcelain tile, the tile does not readily accept the adhesive and you can have bonding issues. I recommend that a first timer or non-professional using porcelain tile apply the thinset to the tile first and then lay the tile. The floor that the tile is going on must be clean. There can be no paint, dirt or anything on the floor or expect bonding issues. Putting ceramic/porcelain tile over a vinyl tile floor is asking for problems. Even removing the old vinyl tile that has been applied with the black adhesive brings bonding issues. Once the thinset has dried, the floor should not have any hollow sounding areas indicating loose tile.
Hope some of this was helpful.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Ceramic tiling

When I did my bathroom I started with full tiles against the tub since that was the most visible area. Mike is right though. You do want to plan this out so you don't end up with little slivers of tile. Laying the tiles out dry is good way to start.

Laying out a chalk line (or grid) is an important step to make sure you stay true and straight.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Ceramic tiling

Mike...I see your name here frequently. I'm new here, but already have learned a lot from you. Just wanted to say thanks!
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Ceramic tiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr13r View Post
Mike...I see your name here frequently. I'm new here, but already have learned a lot from you. Just wanted to say thanks!

Thank you for that-----You made my day.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Ceramic tiling

you can find information about ceramics in here:
קרמיקה

Advertisement

nachmias is offline   Reply With Quote