Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ceramic tiles rot from slider

hello folks: first time dealing with ceramic floors [already hate it]. ok from cellar i see lots of nails must be a pad or something under tiles for grout purpose, if rot is bad will take up tiles then this pad replace plywood then rebuild? do i chisel tiles up cut out underlay then plywood. if you could run it by me what is the procedure for doing the tiling job from the begining?

the trouble i see is that the rot is near forced air vents could this be from the heating system drying out wood of floor? or do you think water is traveling and rotting the wood where it has a low spot?

i know it's hard to answer these questions but any help from tile people will help before i start. thanks in advance!!!

bobby b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,128

Need some pictures.
Just some guesses, there's a deck, stoop, or slab even with the threshold of the door.

There's no Jam Sill under the door or no flashing under the threshold.

You have been trying to use caulking to keep the water from coming in.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

my son just bought the house, yes deck off the slider till i replace the slider will not see what is there. looks like they added that foam at one time and sloppy work hoping i can add all the flashing to stop leaks . read a little and said that they could put tile right over plywood so was wondering why all the nails in the floor not that much higher than livingroom that had a rug?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,128

Most often I have to remove the door, cut out the subflooring using a Tow Kick saw to cut out near the wall and around the doors rough framing, replace with Advantec subflooring, Install flashing or a Jamb sill, reinstall the door. If that areas going to be tiled it's best to go over the whole area with at least 3/8 A/C subfloor rated plywood making sure to not have the seams line up with the floor joist below, then 1/4 Tile board set in thin set that gets screwed down with Tile board screws. As your tiling all the seams need tile board webed seam tape set in thin set.

Just tiling over plywood with no underlayment would be a sure way to have to go back and do it over.

You also need to take a look at the floor joist and see how long the unsupported spans are and how wide they are to see if this floor will even support tile.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

o.k. that is why all the screws going thru kitchen floor [looked like nails] so if i take up tiles cut thru that underlayment and plywood and replace. i thought advantec only came in 1 inch . but the root is probably from water not the forced hot air? i just keep getting back to that because rot is away from slider but the holes for the heat would be a perfect place for water to run down and rot edges of holes. oh well oh well thanks for the info.