Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Just go with it!

Send a message via Yahoo to Leikela
Share |

Ceramic Tile vs. Porcelin Tile...

Hi everyone,

I have a question. My husband and I are re-doing our bathroom floor. I was looking at tiles today and I really like ones made out of porcelin. However, you hear all the rage about ceramic tile. Which one is better quality?

Thank you for any information.

~Leikela

Leikela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #2

Porcelain is a type of ceramic tile. During the manufacturing process, it is fired at a higher temperature for a longer period of time, thereby making it more dense. Because it (porcelain) is denser, it absorbs less water and that is why, traditionally, it is often used in bathrooms.

If you have any specific tile related questions, another good place to ask is: http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php?

The forum is devoted mainly to "tile" issues and it's members are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Good Luck

Last edited by dkpbxman; 02-12-2007 at 05:29 PM.
dkpbxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Just go with it!

Thanks for the response! I will check out that forum. So basically you're saying that porcelin tile is already ceramic tile, but just denser? So porcelin tile is better to use in bathrooms as opposed to ceramic tile because it won't absorb as much water?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #4

correct.
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Porcelin is same product as ceramic tile, fired at a hotter temperature to make it "harder". There is nothing wrong with using it, but I believe the current trend to porcelin in residential work is overkill. This is a commercial product designed for very high wear conditions that has crossed over to residential for some reason or other. Any quality ceramic will have plenty durability for residential work; like most products, stay away from the cheap, bargain priced stuff. If your project requires lots of cutting for pattern changes or inlays, be prepared for some extra waste, as some of these tiles have a lot of breakage when cut, even basic cuts with a wet saw.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
Just go with it!

Thank you for the additional input. We just bought our tiles tonight and we definitely did not go with the cheap tiles that were .68 cents per square foot. They looked like they would break without much trouble. We ended up choosing an Italian made tile that cost about $2.70 per square foot. We're happy with our choice and cannot wait to get started on it!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #7

I'm not an expert in flooring but I have used the "cheap" stuff and it hold up nicely. I have it in my bathroom and have dropped some hard opjects on it from time to time. And, no cracks. Yes, the more expensive stuff is higher quality, but unless you are going to really drop something heavy on it, it would be fine to use. However, in a kitchen where plates and other things often fall, using a higher end tile would be wise.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
So porcelin tile is better to use in bathrooms as opposed to ceramic tile because it won't absorb as much water?
Yes and no.
Porcelain is more impervious to water, but it mostly affect outdoor installations.
I can install it on a deck here in AK and it can handle the freeze/thaw aspect.
For a bath, who really cares about durability OR moisture.
Clay based ceramics are glazed, so moisture is not a problem. and how many people have a high traffic bathroom or drop huge items to crack it.

technically Porcelain is better, but still can be overkill for a small area.
If you like a ceramic, it should do well.
Buy what you like.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote