Ceramic Tile Versus Engineered Hard Wood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceramic Tile versus Engineered Hard Wood

Debating pros and cons of one over the other. Existing flooring is carpet over concrete. Single story and floor is 3 feet above grade, so I am assuming (think I actually know) concrete underneath.

If wood, then 800sq ft (great room, dining room, den, entry) as kitchen and breakfast nook will stay same vinyl flooring. If tile then about 1100sq ft and do all.

I am actually handy enough to do myself but will not do it as it is a back breaking job. I can also make any necessary repairs to either.

Not asking price per se, but interested in cost differences (material and installation) between the two.

I run electrical cords and speaker cables under carpet. I would need two 12feet runs to electrical plugs built in the flooring and speaker cable runs same. Is this a major issue?

Also experiences with using Lowes or Home Depot for material and their reccomended installers?

Thanks a bunch all.

Advertisement

john curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceramic Tile versus Engineered Hard Wood

you cannot run electrical wires in this floor.

wood flooring installation would also be determined if you are using pre-finished or unfinished.

installation cost... Cheapest to install....pre-finished wood then tile then unfinished wood

lowes and home depot only sell economy grade products. Same with their installers... I know I could never work for the rates they are paying these guys.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote