DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ceramic tile on slab - install over adhesive left from vinyl tiles?

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  firehawkmph 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm tiling the Kitchen, which is on a slab.

The old vinyl (or similar) tiles were removed, but there's a very thin layer of what must have been the adhesive. It's black, but not sticky any more. I tried to scrape it off the floor, but it's really stuck to the slab.

Based on the age of the tiles (1960's), I've been told that it's possible that the glue contains asbestos.

Is it possible to lay ceramic or porcelain tile over this? I'd like to avoid disturbing this material if possible.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Hi,

That black adhesive is called 'cut-back' and you can tile over it. It is recommended that you scrape as much as possible, leaving only an almost translucent film. This cut-back probably also may contain asbestos, so don't make dust with it. There are many modified thinset mortars that work well over cut-back. It'll say so right on the bag.

Jaz

#3 ·
Hi Jazman! I'm sorry to reply to such an old thread. But I have a similar problem. I'm trying to tile over vinyl adhesive. It is also black but is very sticky (we just removed the vinyl flooring).

Is there anyway to just tile right on top of the adhesive without removing any? I removed it on another job and it was torture getting it up.

Maybe using cement board on top is another option?

What mortar's would you recommend to go on top of the black adhesive?

#4 ·
This is what I did: used an angle grinder with a diamond cup wheel to grind approx 50% of the slab to clean and porous. I used water to reduce dust. I wore a 3M NOSH something respirator. I also had my shop vac running with the hose sucking up some of the spray. I had a spray bottle close to keep the floor wet. Then I mopped a few times starting with a tiny bit of de-greaser. I was going to acid etch, but ended up not doing so. I used Versibond #2 thinset on porcelain tiles. No loose tiles after 2 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.