Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic Tile Shower Installation

We have the durarock up drain in and need to know how to waterprrof prior to installing ceramic tile... Can anyone give us some pointers

scott and darla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Tileguy

Thank you for moving your post.

You really don't offer much information to begin with but typically you would have already had the waterproofing membrane installed. The membrane for the floor goes behind the wallboard. There is more than one way to build a shower these days so it may not be too late.

Why don't you tell us exactly what you have done to this point. Is this a rehab shower or new?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #3

New build,old house. We gutted and started from 4 walls (the whole house)
We have the durarock up as I said before, no 'liner' that I've read about online. Should we take down the druarock? Alot a work!! Or can we continue on from where we are? We have the drain in, no pitch, No Handles or rails yet. All New Plumbing etc. In. Oh, your welcome on the moving our post. Didn't know we were stepping on toes, sorry..

Last edited by scott and darla; 08-06-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Tileguy

You weren't stepping on toes but when we try to address more than one project in the same thread things get really screwy.

OK, too late to do a conventional shower with the wallboard already in place.

You can now shift gears and go with a Schluter Systems KERDI shower. You can cast your own cement slope using the KERDI Drain and KERDI Mat, or, you can use a Schluter Shower Tray Kit.

http://schlutersystems.com/english/p...section-h.html

You could also use the shower system offered by Noble Company. They offer a means of sloping the cement and have a great membrane to waterproof the floor. Noble Company also offers wall niches and benches for your shower.

http://www.noblecompany.com/Products....aspx#products

In both cases you will now have to use a membrane on the walls since you can no longer get a pan-liner behind the wallboard.

Personally I think the new systems above are much much better than the old conventional method that has been in place for more than forty years.

At any rate someone here will be glad to walk you thru every step as you go if you choose.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 08-06-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

Scott here, Darla's been doing the talking up til now.
Yes, I am winging this project on little skill and alot of determination...... Books are great! I wired the entire place myself with zero prior elect. experience. I do exterior hardscaping as a trade.
So, any way..... I can remove the dura rock easily enough. Lets go back to square one. Its a custom build shower unit that measures 3 ft by 6 ft and will have a claw tub installed once the tile is done. The three sided shower enclosure is just for splash. It has a 6 in ledge that rides just above the tub rim.
Any suggestions or reference books would be a great help. Thanks.....
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
So, any way..... I can remove the dura rock easily enough. Lets go back to square one. Its a custom build shower unit that measures 3 ft by 6 ft and will have a claw tub installed once the tile is done. The three sided shower enclosure is just for splash.
OK hold on, hold on, hold on!!! Now that's a mighty nice curve to throw a guy. So this ISN'T a shower enclosure it is simply a splash room so to speak.

In your first and second post you said you had a "drain in". Is that a floor drain or is it eventually to be the tub egress? And why all the anticipated splashing with a claw foot?

Your not telling us everything!

I'm still thinking your still OK and can go from here.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #7

No need to go into details on why theres splashing going on.... (and no its not the kids, they are grown..)... Lets just say that we anticipate plenty of water out of the tub as well as in. The tub will drain onto the floor. It needs to be water tight. Theres only 20 screws per sheet of dura rock... I have started over again on some of the renovations around here and this would be no big deal to strip the dura rock. I would rather do it thrice and have it right, than slack on a half assed job to "just get it done" ya know?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
Tileguy

Ya gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to to fold 'em so HOLD 'EM for a minute and answer the floor drain question. This is sounding salvageable without any tear out.

A few years ago I converted an entire bedroom to a
"splash room" using a claw foot in the center of the room and waterproofing the entire area. That wasn't for a kids play room either.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #9

"Durarock" is what is known as cement backer board, or cbu for short...waterproofing can take place on top of this so there is no need to remove it. You already have two products recommended for this.

You did the wiring yourself? don't say that here...tell us what you did, now before it's too late.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
No need to go into details on why theres splashing going on.... (and no its not the kids, they are grown..)... Lets just say that we anticipate plenty of water out of the tub as well as in...
OK GOT IT! Wild and unrelenting sex! Say no more.

Quote:
The tub will drain onto the floor.
OK, if you say so...

Kind of hard to prescibe much with all the secrecy but I can tell you there are waterproofing products available that are of a topical nature and can be used in this case. If the floor is flat with no slope and you really intend for the tub to gush water on the floor as it drains your will be taxing the limits of the products maybe, without a slope and a proper drain connection.

Some products can be painted-on while others are applied using thinset and a lapping process. Flashing of the walls will be required and properly seaming the floor drain into the program would also be necessary.

Take it carlisle!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #11

Thank you