Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic tile PEI rating - is this store manager trying to scam me?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and hoping you all may be able to give me some insight as to whether I'm being scammed on the PEI rating of a specific ceramic tile I'm considering installing.

My husband and I picked up several samples from a tile liquidator. I noticed the tile we are leaning towards seemed a bit lighter weight than some of the others we are looking at, so I called the store to ask what the PEI rating was. At first she asked what PEI stood for and before I told her, she aske "is that like the 0-5 scale". I confirmed and she said, "ah, it's a 374, so a 4". Is there something I'm missing? Do the ratings start as more than one number and then get rounded? In all the things I've seen the PEI ratings are just stated as #1, #2 etc.

Any insight?

Thank you!

Megan

megs1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
We pick these?

I'm not qualified to answer your question, per se, but it seems like the person you spoke to may have quoted you the breaking strength of the body of the tile...

NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #3

Hey - just happened to be checking when you replied!

I appreciate your response. If it were in fact, the breaking strength, would that be considered a good number?
megs1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #4

The PEI rating is for the wear of the glaze on a tile, 1 to 5, 5 being the best, most porcelain are 4 or 5.

Here, read up...
Ceramic Tile Wear Ratings

The current rating system for ceramic tile is the only reliable gauge for consumers to use in determining wear expectations for a particular tile application. The Porcelain Enamel Institute (PEI) has developed a rating scale that can effectively guide any consumer through the process of choosing the right tile for their particular application. This rating system is recommended by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
  • PEI Class 1 Rating (No foot traffic) - Recommended for wall use only in residential and commercial applications.
  • PEI Class 2 Rating (Light traffic) - Recommended for both wall use and bathroom floor applications.
  • PEI Class 3 Rating (Light to moderate traffic) - Recommended for countertops, walls, and floors where normal foot traffic is expected.
  • PEI Class 4 Rating (Moderate to heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential applications as well as medium commercial and light institutional.
  • PEI Class 5 Rating (Heavy to extra heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential as well as heavy commercial and institutional applications.
Most porcelain tiles have a PEI rating of 5, which makes them the hardest wearing tiles on the market.

Last edited by R&D Tile; 10-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
We pick these?

Evidently 250# is the minimum for breaking strength, so I suppose that's a good number, but with a proper bed of thinset or other mortar I'm sure the PEI rating is a better indicator of the tile's durability. I'm going with PEI of 4 or better when selecting bathroom tiles...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Tileguy

While a PEI of 4 is more durable than a tile with a 3 rating, that alone does not make it a better tile or one that is worth more $$$. That is only one factor and as stated most porcelains are usually a 4 or higher. All you need is a residential kitchen is a 3. A 2 or better is fine for any residential bathroom floor.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
We pick these?

PEI ratings aren't my criterion of selection, it's more aesthetic and economic, it just happens that the tiles I'm looking at are porcelain, generally, and under $1.50... I suppose I'm trying to justify my tile selection as getting me "more" for my money by having a supposed higher durability rating on the glaze.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #8

different ratings for different measurements is a way of life.. lets make it really bad and say that its a pei of a 4, a st of 200 and a v of 3 and a gl of 1400 and all that means is that you can measure different things different ways.. the wear is also different.. like a AC or a TB rating.. the tile can vary as well on the end of which it was made and the clay used. so if that doesn't make sense thats ok.. really it is designed to keep people in the dark aabout that they want to know. nottom line is that you have to trust the ratings only as much as you can trust your salesman.. unless you are in a box store like home depot and then i wouldn't trust either.
IceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
unless you are in a box store like home depot and then i wouldn't trust either.
That makes sense, the rest I'm having trouble with.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #10

Ok here are different ratings that I know for tile: PEI, ST, V, GL, AC & TB

These all measure different things such as the GL rating is the shine/finish (GL) I assume means gloss. That can also have a effect on the other ratings and vise versa.

IceT is offline   Reply With Quote