Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #1

Share |
Ceramic tile over solid surfacing in shower?

Is it possible to install ceramic tile over existing solid surface (corian type) shower floor? Objections that have been raised are, "won't stick" and "too flexible". Why can't I put down cement boardover the top of the solid surfacing, and solve both questions? Would really appreciate some advice.

Last edited by patincb; 03-08-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: No one responding to initial query
patincb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

I was looking in to doing the same thing tiling on the plastic/fiberglass shower pan, but just as a base board to cover the outside of the base.
Are you looking to tile the entire shower pan?..if so cement board wont allow you to retain the slope to the floor drain.

pesky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
DIY staff

It might work--sort of.-There are firmsets made that will stick to Corian.
Tiled pans use an adjustable drain-How would you get your drain height to match the new floor height?

If the job fails--and it may--are you prepared to rebuild the entire shower? There is no way that I know of to replace a shower pan without damage to the walls.--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky11 View Post
I was looking in to doing the same thing tiling on the plastic/fiberglass shower pan, but just as a base board to cover the outside of the base.
Are you looking to tile the entire shower pan?..if so cement board wont allow you to retain the slope to the floor drain.
Want to cover the entire surface. Can you build up firmset on the outside perimiter to accomplish slope? We have to squeege the floor now after shower, I guess we could continue that if necessary but not best option.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
It might work--sort of.-There are firmsets made that will stick to Corian.
Tiled pans use an adjustable drain-How would you get your drain height to match the new floor height?

If the job fails--and it may--are you prepared to rebuild the entire shower? There is no way that I know of to replace a shower pan without damage to the walls.--Mike--
Understand there is such a thing as an Extend-O-Drain product for this problem? Realize consequence of failure, but floor in pretty bad shape. Will I be able to find the proper firmset readily?