Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic tile over slab

OK so my basement is a poured slab that currently has some sort of awful looking "vinyl" tile on it. I use that in quotes since I have no idea what it really is. the house was built in 1970 and i suspect that it is original. It is not coming up off of the floor on its own account, but it comes up pretty easily with a scraper. the problem is that the glue remains. It is black, and somewhat tar like, although it is not all that sticky. It doesn't really stick to the tiles, but it is adhered to the floor pretty well

I'm afraid I'll need to rent some sort of floor sander to get all of the remaining glue off of the floor before I start with the ceramic tile. If thats what I have to do then so be it, I'll do it right once. I'm hoping that I don't have to do that though.

Whats the right way to got this done?

jweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Ceramic tile over slab

we use a flamethrower propane burner & floor scrapers while wearing organic mask protection,,, after that, we remove the residue w/9" grinders fitted w/turbo diamond cup wheels fitted w/dust shrouds & hook'd up to wet/dry vacs.

even then, we expect the original tile pattern to ' reveal ' itself unless we overlay the floor prior to any other decorative conc work,,, if you're placing ceramic tile or carpeting, that won't be an issue.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #3

Ceramic tile over slab

Oh.

Thats worse than I expected. I was hoping to do it in sections so that I had a somewhat functional laundry room the whole time. Sounds like thats a bad plan.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #4

Ceramic tile over slab

Go to lowe's by flexitile homestyle interlocking tile. it will go over what you have, no need to clean up, ideal for basements especially if you have moisture. i found it also reduces the noise under washers and dryer.
Andynme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #5

Ceramic tile over slab

i like andy's suggestion,,, thanks, bud ! ! !
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Tileguy

Ceramic tile over slab

How about a quality real ceramic porcelain tile that doesn't care too much about all your issues? This product is proving to be a great DIY ceramic tile product with no issues to date. Take a look at it if you are interested in a real problem-solver.

Quote:
FAST and EASY

Anybody can install SnapStone, and achieve professional results – even if you’ve never installed tile before. And because no underlayment or thinset is needed, it can be done in 1-day.
http://www.snapstone.com
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #7

Ceramic tile over slab

Those flexitile aren't really what I want. Even though it's technically a basement, it's only a couple feet below grade, and open to the upstairs. I also wouldn't want that in the adjoining bathroom I'm planning on doing with the same ceramic tile. It looks pretty nice for a garage or workout room, but its not what I want.

Plus I already bought the tile, couldn't pass up a closeout deal. I don't have moisture issues so thats not a concern either.

I'll spend a few minutes burning some of it off with a torch tonight and see what happens. Well, other than irritating the wife.

yesitsconcrete - so do you use something like this? I assume thats something I could rent for a day?

http://www.constructioncomplete.com/...-Floor-Grinder
Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #8

Ceramic tile over slab

all we do is soften, NOT burn, as fumes're probably carcinogenic (sp),,, the scraper we use is in the 30# range w/weight we've added,,, we use hand grinders 'cause we own 'em,,, we also own scarifiers but that's another method.

glad to hear you saved a few dollars on the tile 'cause you're giving it all back & more now then again, i do stuff 'round the house - figure i work for $7/hr time i run for tools, head to apron store for supplies, work, back to apron for what i figured out i needed but didn't get the 1st time, work, head to doc-in-the-box for stitches, rest, work, back to doc for stitch removal, rest w/leg in air for 3 days, finish job back to apron store cause bride noticed something i didn't/hoped she wouldn't/moved-the-box-i-was-hiding-it-behind

i absolutely HATE working for this woman then having to sleep beside her
Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #9

Ceramic tile over slab

I've determined life is carcinogenic, so I take all of that with a grain of salt. I won't get cancer in 5 minutes of a test burn, but thanks for the lookout I'll probably see what muratic(sp?) acid does to the stuff as well.

All I have is a 4.5 inch angle grinder, so I'm either going to have to buy a big one, or rent something. Renting looks pretty good in this case. The UR near my house has something that should work for about $65/day. It's about 200 square ft, so it's not massive, just big enough to be a pain. I think I can get it done in one day though, 2 at most.

I figure that if I wasn't working on the house, I'd be drinking beer and spending money on car parts. By that logic, my time is practically free. It keeps me off the streets at night.

and yes, i have to sleep with my employer as well The boss wants ceramic tile, so thats what she gets. She knows shes not allowed to moan about the mess.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Tileguy

Ceramic tile over slab

Don't waste your time with the acid.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #11

Ceramic tile over slab

bud's right, don't waste your time with the acid
Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #12

Ceramic tile over slab

Ok I was going to have to go pick some up anyway, so I won't bother. Is there any solvent that is worth my time?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #13

Ceramic tile over slab

we use xylene but i don't suggest anyone else because of its relatively low flash point,,, explosion proof motors, pilot lights, thermostats, etc.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #14

Ceramic tile over slab

I've used that before, I may even have a small can in my garage. I can ventilate the area well. I'll have to see if it makes sense to use that.

Edit: Anyone ever use this product?

http://www.senpro.com/retail/adhesiv...ts/747PLUS.pdf

Last edited by jweller; 11-05-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #15

Ceramic tile over slab

looks better'n beaneedoo to me