Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic tile over plywood substate

Client wants to change from sheetgood flooring to a ceramic tile. Pier & beam house with 1x6 diagonal and 3/4 plywood substrate in place. DW height with existing kitchen cabinet will not allow adding 1/4 inch backerboard as would be preferred. Any suggestions as to using mastic & or other installation method. Areas that will be served are a laundry room, kitchen and den area that all connect.

brucew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Mastic will not work on a floor.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
brucew11 (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

So what installation method would you use
brucew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Tileguy

Bruce,

Since you're a handyman, I'm gonna ask you to give us some specific measurements and description of what you've got to work with. In most cases the dishwasher does not prevent the proper installation of ceramic tile in the kitchen.

Will you please tell us the exact measurement from the plywood to the bottom of the counter top. Normally cabinets are shimmed up off the subfloor 5/8"-3/4". The dishwasher's adjustable screw-in feet can also be removed completely if necessary. Another trick is to slide the machine in, then tilt it towards you a little to make it shorter. Then slide it back more and stand it up. This usually works since the machine is several inches shorter in depth than the top. The machines I've seen measure just under 34" high with adjusters still attached. It should work.

Just to be clear, do you have a 1x6 plank subfloor with 3/4" plywood on top? Also, please get "mastic" and any pre-mixed setting materials out of your head.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote