Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

ceramic tile over linoleum

Have old linoleum(10yrs) that is in perfectly fine condition but would rather have ceramic tile down for looks and value.

Can I install tile directly on the linoleum? Its a bathroom and the linoleum would act as a moisture barrier, no?

Then I was going to replace the baseboards with tile as well. My question is how to fill the gap between the baseboard tiles and the floor tiles. Grout or caulking?

I'm new to this forum and appreciate any help and advice you have to offer. Thanks!

Devyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

You need to remove the sheet vinyl & the 1/4" underlayment that should be under it. You should be able to remove both at the same time. How old is this floor? How old is the house? What is the subfloor made from?

Give us those answers for a start and we can help you go in the right direction.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

The house and the floor were built in 2000. About 11 years old. I haven't any idea what is under it...whatever the builder standard is...

Can you tell me why the vinyl has to come up? I'm very curious.
Devyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

vinyl has to come up because it is a cushioned product and has too much flexibility for tile installation. remove vinyl and underlayment beneath it (1/4"). Should be the standard as your home is only 10 years old. then you can proceed with more questions.
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #5

I have a question similar to this so instead of making a new thread I figured I would post here.

In my situation (20 year old house) the linoleum is in the basement on top of concrete. It does not look like there is any padding under it since I can see how high it sits where it terminates in my laundry room. I looks to me to be less than 1/16" thickness. Should I still remove it or is it ok to just tile over it?
mserrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #6

technically, no. it is a good rule of thumb to remove all exisitng floor coverings on the concrete, check for cracks, dips, etc. vinyl is dimensionally unstable to install tile over. however i have installed over vinyl with concrete substrate, if customer refuses tearout. emboss vinyl with portland cement based floor patch (Ardex, Chemerex) mixed with latex. proceed to tile with superior latex modified thinset. no warranty
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Tileguy

mserrino,
If you intend to be here a while start your own thread. Things get screwed up when you try to piggy back a thread like you have done.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Tileguy

Devyn,

It is never good to heap layer atop of layer when it comes to floor coverings. Your vinyl may be pristine but that isn't where the potential problems lie. Under that vinyl should be a layer of 1/4" plywood underlayment that was installed with the vinyl. That plywood is super problematic and contains voids and has voids under it that will wreck a rigid tile installation. Beside, why would you spend money for a tile installation that depends on an old vinyl installation to survive. It just isn't prudent.

Same goes for vinyl that is permanently and gloriously glued to a concrete substrate. Why would anyone spend money on a tile installation who's life depends on how long the vinyl will stay bonded to the concrete? Tile floors live longer when they can breathe a little. Trapped moisture under a vinyl covering wouldn't be good for a tile installation and all concrete contains moisture from time to time. Vinyl flooring over time can shrink and draw and destroy a tile installation.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

You can use a interlocking ceramic tile like snapceramic edge and/or other interlocking tiles. These can be installed over the lino and they are great products.

JohnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote