DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ceramic tile over existing (full mud) ceramic?

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LoneStarGuitar 
#1 ·
I have a bathroom with a full mud job ceramic tile on the floor only. The tile is in great shape but is a butt ugly color. Existing tile and mud is over plywood subfloor. I would like to avoid ripping out the tile and installing new tile backer board. Why can't I place new tile over the existing tile? I know I have to consider the additional highth at the threshold and will have to extend the toilet flange, but this is a lot less work than ripping out the old tile. Any reason not to do it? Any particular adhesive required other than standard latex modified thinset?

#5 ·
I totally understand that.

My point is that most DIY'ers have a tough time determining a good substrate.
That is a good rule for pro's to live by, but may turn into a mess for the DIY'ers.

if you bounce a golf ball on the tiles from a low height, you can hear to see if there is a hollow sound, which may indicate that tile is not fully secured.
That is one of many pointers that can be used.

#8 ·
home depot also rents those machines rather inexpensively!
I had about 400 sqft of linoleum and nasty tile to remove.. old VCT. Ugh.
Rented a stripping machine for i think around 60 bucks. Took three hours (including a BS break 'cuz I have helpful, but snooping neighbors.)

Now they are somewhat heavy and a bit unwieldy, but it did the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.