Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ceramic tile over ceramic tile

We have a small bathroom we want tiled. The existing floor has tile. The contractor wants to tile right over old tile. Is this good? Shouldn't old floor be taken out and new floor installed?
Thank you
Tim

EFTHIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Can it be done, yes.
Is it the way I would do it, in most cases no.
It's going to through off the toilet flange height, baseboards, leave a bigger transition at the door opening.
Remember, your the boss on this job.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #3

If it's small, what's the holdup on taking it out I wonder? Are you capable of physical labor and have no limitations? If so, do it yourself, and if you don't know how, we can tell you. Joe is right on all points, just because you can doesn't mean you should, you'll have a whole host of ugly aesthetic issues. Are you doing a whole bath remodel or only have him doing the floor?
Jb1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Tileguy

Hi Tim,

I think going over the old tiles is a great way to save you lots of $$$ and you'll get a good job if the old floor is in good condition and raising the floor 3/8" doesn't cause a problem some how. I don't see how it would.

* 3/8" or so at the flange is not a problem and an easy remedy.
* Baseboards, again no problem. Plus in a bathroom you almost always install new, preferably tile base.
* Height at the threshold is the biggest noticeable thing. You'll get used to stepping a little higher within a few days. But, most of the time (in your area) there is a marble threshold which can/should be removed. If so, the floor will be at about that level. No problem as you can see in the pic.

Not every floor is a candidate, but if your floor was installed the way most are in our area when new, (a real mud job), and there's no cracks or loose tiles etc., I'd say OK. Be sure the installer you hire is knowledgable and is licensed for tile & marble.

Did he give you any details of what setting materials he'll be using? Any other info?

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile-100_1164.jpg  

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-12-2014), oh'mike (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Get out of the box!

I concur with Jazman.
Many times we professionals have a tendency to offer advice that is "by the book" and in doing so we do not consider the constraints of the person doing the job.

Many of the " by the book" suggestions are not even used daily by the suggestor...
Self remodeling is a trail and error process, advice must be taken as it applies to your job. IE: I have been remodeling my own home for several years, I get advice and I have had other tradesmen tell me what the books says, so I do not undertake it lest it be incorrect, then they come and don't do it by the book...
If the tile is stuck well and your grout joints are not cracked up, tile over it, if it is a glazed tile scuff with 80 grit sandpaper....and always use a modified thinset!
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 26yrsinflooring For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-12-2014), oh'mike (02-12-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #6

Are you able of actual work and have no limitations? If so, do it yourself, and if you don't know how, we can tell you. Joe is right on all factors, just because you can doesn't mean you should, you'll have a whole variety of unpleasant visual problems. Are you doing a whole shower renovate or only have him doing the floor?
James-Colls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 4

The OP didn't say what the sub-floor was. If slab....and the condition of the existing is as stated by Jaz...yea...why not...

But if floor joists....how much weight is this adding and will it effect deflection?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote