Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic Tile and OSB

New to the forum here, Have been browing several as a guest and have not found what I needed exactly. I have to finish what contractor started for an add-on dining room. The plans are to add Ceramic tile as it will be an entry was as well as a dining room and we are in a rural area with lots of debris tracked in.

I have a 16*17 room that is built on 16 inch centers with 2*10s or 12s, I forgot to check. The OSB is 3/4 tounge and groove. Is this suitable to add 1/2 inch backer board with thinset? I have read some forums that hated OSB for anything and recomended taking it out and using plywood exterior grade.

Thanks

wormhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Tileguy

Ceramic Tile and OSB

There are some engineered OSB's that might be better than some of the cheaper plywood that is being sold today? Generally though we prefer a good quality plywood subfloor. But those cheap-ass builders don't care what is best.

Installing concrete board over OSB is as standard an operation as there is today. Who told you not to try it? You can use 1/4" or 1/2", whatever is the best height for your job. Do you know how it is installed?

Before you go any further though, you should report back with; the size of the joists, confirm 16" o.c., try to find the species and grade, and the unsupported span. This is the exact measurement from face of support to support.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #3

Ceramic Tile and OSB

Quote:
But those cheap-ass builders don't care what is best
I know there is a 16 oc, and it spans 16 or 17 feet, but I don't know exact. Like your quote says, I bet they are 2*10s and pine, not sure what grade.

It will take a while to get this because the cheap-ass builders, who ran away with all my money, did not give me a crawl space entry. I am fixing to use a core saw to drill a series of holes through my 8 inch basement wall that adjoins the dining room. Then I can take better measurements.

I am not married to ceramic tile, but it is also an entry way from the muddy wet outdoors. I may have to switch to laminate flooring.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Tileguy

Ceramic Tile and OSB

Laminate flooring.......now that would be a big mistake!! Why would you want to do that?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #5

Ceramic Tile and OSB

Better than vinal flooring.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Tileguy

Ceramic Tile and OSB

Well...maybe in looks? But stay focused on ceramic, it's the best way to go. If you install it right it'll be there for 40 years or longer and add value to the house.

There are two quality types of floors, and only one will hold up to the conditions you describe. The other quality floor of course is real wood. But real wood does not like dirt and is ruined by water, even a little dampness over the course of a few years. Even a medium size dog will ruin it with drippings from the water bowl, not to mention its claws.

Jaz

Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
The Home Doc

Send a message via Yahoo to The Home Doc

Ceramic Tile and OSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Well...maybe in looks? But stay focused on ceramic, it's the best way to go. If you install it right it'll be there for 40 years or longer and add value to the house.

There are two quality types of floors, and only one will hold up to the conditions you describe. The other quality floor of course is real wood. But real wood does not like dirt and is ruined by water, even a little dampness over the course of a few years. Even a medium size dog will ruin it with drippings from the water bowl, not to mention its claws.

Jaz
My laminate floors stand up to both of my full grown, 120lb Chocolate Labs. My hardwood floors are trashed. I'm acutally ripping them up for laminate. If you know how to install laminate, and you use a quality laminate, the laminate will last longer than the hardwood. The better quality laminate is also very hard to distinguish from real wood. Laminate also adds value to your home, as most people understand that real wood is a pain in the azz to keep up, and requires refinishing over time.... so I disagree with you over your theory of laminate floors; however, I am 100% in agreeance with you on the tile for this particular situation.

I also do a lot of flooring jobs for multi-million dollar homes on the beach where I live... #1 requested product... you guessed it... LAMINATE FLOORING.

The Home Doc is offline   Reply With Quote