Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic Tile that looks like Hard Wood floor

I am looking for anyone that can give me feedback and/or pictures of a ceremic tile floor that looks like wood. The ceremic tiles are the shape of wood, with grain like hard wood floors. We are thinking about putting this down for a room that we will use as a home office. Has anyone seen or heard of this type of flooring?

Rhonda H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
Has anyone seen or heard of this type of flooring?
I have I have! McDonald's Restaurants around the world are full of that stuff.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Tileguy

NO Bud, that's not what Rhonda means. Mickey D's uses Summitville Strada quarry, not woodgrain looking porcelain.

Rhonda, there are many woodgrain tiles available in planks sizes. You'll just have to visit your nearest ceramic tile distributor. If you don't have any distributors nearby, try a real tile shop, not anyplace where the nice people wear vests though.

Many Spanish manufacturers make some fairly realistic looking woodgrains. Someone might be able to guide you, but you didn't mention where you are.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
NO Bud, that's not what Rhonda means. Mickey D's uses Summitville Strada quarry, not woodgrain looking porcelain.

OH!

Well then NEVERMIND!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
BlueStoneFloors (08-22-2011)
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #5

I know this is a little late, but, I had the wood grain tile floors installed and it came out better than I had envisioned and thinking of doing it throughout my entire home..The only thing I would change is to make the grout a little darker..In the store it looked like a perfect match but on my floor it was a little too light..Best part is I got the porcelain ones and the color runs thru it so if by chance I get a scratch you wont notice it..The cost was up there, over 7 grand, but worth every penny since maintaining it will be a snap..
Alicia5957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Interceramic and Marazzi both have several wood looks now too.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #7

I would love to see pictures of a floor using a woodgrain looking porcelain. Could someone post pictures in a real house, not a brochure.

Thanks - Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #8

Question

I live in Florida and have a lot of kid traffic in and out of the house. Kids rooms and home office MUST have the carpet removed because of stains and really strong dog smells (past owner) and grandma old person smells (grandma moved to assisted living).

I LOVE the look and feel of hardwood. I have been told that because of the very humid climate in southern Florida that I should go with tile rather than wood. But I have tile in most of the other living areas of the house already and find it cold and hard, always needs shoes to walk around on it.

I have seen some tiles that look like real wood, but does it feel like real wood and does it make the room as homey as I know real wood does? Cost considerations are a question too. I have been told that real wood will buckle and warp with humidity and that laminate isn't a good choice for durability and replacement of planks isn't an option, whole floor would need to be taken out and replaced. Bamboo is a grass and not a good option for Florida either.

What would you do if wood is the look and feel that you are going for, trying to be cost efficient in this economy, and have a very humid climate to deal with most of the year?

Thanks for info and can use any stores, manufactuers or brands that you can recommend.
Mommied4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #9

I used this forum to gather information and decide on using a ceramic tile resembling wood to replace carpet and ugly builder beige existing tile for my entire downstairs living, dining, laundry, and family areas (approx 850 sq ft). I thought I would give back by providing information on the process.

First, the floors are beautiful and the exact look I wanted. We live in Florida and have an active home, so wood was not ideal. Tile made the most sense.

I shopped local tile stores and found the look and price I was after in ceramic, although I did see more expensive porcelain out there. The manufacturer is Garo, the tile is planks 6.5 x 20, grout line is about 1/16 (very tight fitting). I almost paid $3.25 sq ft but found the exact product in another shop and they gave it to me for $2.85, so shop around.

What I learned...if you are removing old tile, be prepared, the mess was anything short of a major dust storm in my house, even with plastic. Laying the tile takes 3x as long as the planks are small in comparison to today's large square tiles, and layed with slim seams. For our space, it took about 10 days of just cutting and laying tile. Make sure the person installing has experience with this tile and look. The tiles are so close that it's easy for one to sit a tiny bit higher then the other, making a lip. My installer's helper made a few mistakes and I made them redo it. Once the tile is down, it's hard to remove w/out breaking pieces around it. Also make sure when they are laying it, the lines sit straight. My installer used a level and ruler. Regarding grout, use a dark grout, it makes the seams less obvious but also the way the tile is cut, you can see lighter variation around the edges, and the darker grout helps hide that. Finally, clean it w/water (I used a steamer which worked perfect).

If you go the tile route, you will not be disappointed.
schinc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #10

I tried to post pictures, not sure if I did it correctly. Post reply w/your email address and I'll email to you! Mommied4, what is your email? I can send pic's to you, where in FL are you?

Last edited by schinc53; 01-14-2010 at 02:02 PM.
schinc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #11

Cool

Yes, please send me the pictures. We are shopping this Saturday and your reply is most helpful!
Thanks!

Hi again. We are in Sarasota County, Venice to be exact. The west coast about 1.5 hours south of Tampa area. Hot and humid.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
Get out of the box!

Emser Tile has a ceramic with a wood look.

If you want the real wood look I would suggest konecto, it is waterproof
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #13

Thanks for the additional brand name suggestions. I would like something as close to wood as possible. If that is possible with tile! I start shopping tomorrow, and have this 1-800-EMPIRE guy coming for an internet appointment to measure and give suggestions and samples. We shall see if he shows up.

Anyone have advice on using or not using the EMPIRE guy?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Why not float a bamboo floor. You can get it in infinite colors. It is durable. It breathes well and if it comes from a real flooring store, not a box store, it will have a nice warranty. Modern cork also breathes and comes in colors you would not believe too.

http://www.duro-design.com/index.cfm/bamboo-flooring/

http://www.calibamboo.com/bambooflooring.html

Last edited by user1007; 01-16-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Added URLs
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #15

Thought about the cork and bamboo options. My husband is a hard wood guy, and would like to go with options or lookalikes for hardwood. Thus the title and laminate and real wood options. Kicker is that my mother in law was going to help financially with the costs, but now after shopping with me today has sticker shock and balking about her contribution and complaining about our choices. So, all is up in the air now.

Thanks for the input!