Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic Tile in Living Room

I'm looking for dogproof flooring and think ceramic tile might be the only option. Must be crazy German Shepherd proof. I have always had carpet, but am tiring of the constant dirt. I also hate vacuuming, cleaning up accidents, and chewed ink pens.

House is a 1100 square foot, 3 bedroom, living room, kitchen, 1 bath. I know ceramic in the living areas is common in the south, but I'm in Michigan and don't recall ever seeing it.

The wood look ones look interesting. Any experience on these? Do they really look good? I've also like the look of slate, but would probably consider a slate look ceramic to avoid maintenance.

Would underfloor heating be a good idea for a northern climate?

Pro or con for resale value?

tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

I think it is a good choice. I've put in a lot of tile in living rooms, bedrooms, everywhere.

You can always put rugs on top.

Slippers are your friend.

The heating doesn't matter, although in-floor would be nice.

As far as re-sale goes, it is difficult to get a red neck to eat something that his mother never put on the table. Otherwise, it's your life.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
DIY staff

Those plank styles do look good---they are a challenge to set properly --the length of the planks require a FLAT floor or lippage can occur --

Leveling clips would be a good idea---

The heated floors are great--but very pricey on a 1100 square foot install---

PS--the prices on that sight are very good---I wouldn't deal with a mail order house for tile but those are good prices.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Tile in the LR will probably hurt resale. I know in my area it would.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Tileguy

I've done tile in living rooms in Michigan several times. It requires someone who's requirements are like yours. Although carpeting is the # 1 choice in most homes, it is the worst possible flooring especially if you like things to be sanitary. Can you imaging what is in your carpeting, especially with pets?

Carpeting is the cheapest way to get a nice floor, and it's soft. Tile warming would be nice up here for a living room, most people think it's worth the cost to gain comfort. You have air in the car and house right?

Mike; the OP will not the warming 1100 ft. just the LR. Wood looking porcelain planks look nice. No one will be fooled in to thinking it's real wood, but some look good. Can be challenging to install though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
DIY staff

Good point,Jazz---Just heat in the living room would be a good value to most people--
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Just be aware, if you have back, foot or leg problems, ceramic in the LR is not for you. If it bothers you to work on a concrete floor, this will bother you.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
"Floor"ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
I'm looking for dogproof flooring and think ceramic tile might be the only option. Must be crazy German Shepherd proof. I have always had carpet, but am tiring of the constant dirt. I also hate vacuuming, cleaning up accidents, and chewed ink pens.

House is a 1100 square foot, 3 bedroom, living room, kitchen, 1 bath. I know ceramic in the living areas is common in the south, but I'm in Michigan and don't recall ever seeing it.

The wood look ones look interesting. Any experience on these? Do they really look good? I've also like the look of slate, but would probably consider a slate look ceramic to avoid maintenance.

Would underfloor heating be a good idea for a northern climate?

Pro or con for resale value?
Con for resale. If heat is a problem, there are now vinyl tiles that are not too bad looking, and will be warmer to the touch and have a great lifetime.

(Not promoting) but Mannington makes a nice one that I put in my mother-in-laws kitchen a couple of months ago.

http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura.aspx

She has scoliosis and it's a lot more forgiving on her spine. For those above who mentioned tile is rough on your back.

Last edited by OtherFloorGuy; 02-07-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Adding link to Mannington's vinyl line
OtherFloorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote