Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #1

Share |

Ceramic tile layout in several adjoining rooms

My son and I are about to lay ceramic tiles in several rooms: a dining room and kitchen and a parallel hallway plus another hallway at right angle to this hallway plus a bathroom off this hallway We are just not sure where to start or do we start in a few locations. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Johnnie3fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
DIY staff

Ceramic tile layout in several adjoining rooms

You are going to have to make a grid--The layout will take you some time---

I don't have time to spell it out right now---so I'll give you a short version---

a grid is usually four tiles---two tiles wide and two grout lines---Let's say your tiles are a perfect 12x12---and you choose a 3/16" grout line---

two tiles + two lines =24 3/8"

You will snap a chalk line as a starting point centered in the hall or where ever leads into the adjoining rooms---and start marking off your grid---do you like the size of the cuts at the walls ,doors and toilet hole? If so great the start line becomes your 'god' line .

If not---move the start line over to a place that will give you acceptable cuts .

Once you have a 'god ' line---spray that line with hair spray and start snapping all the lines in that direction,

Using a square---snap a start line in the other direction---measure and see if you like the cuts--

Move the line if needed-----then snap the rest of the grid.---Hair spray the chalk lines and start cutting and setting.

The directions are in the site some where ---try 'search' of wait for some one to explain better.

I have a couple of laser lay out tools that speed things up---but a ruler and square work just fine.

Johnnie3fingers (07-27-2011)