Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic Tile or Laminate Wood Flooring

My House has Tile throughout except for the bedrooms. I want to ditch the carpet in the bedrooms but not sure if I should go with a ceramic tile or laminate wood flooring. I don't have any extra pieces of tile & don't think I can get the exact same color to match the rest of the house. That is one of the reason I was leaning towards laminate wood, plus I also like the way it looks. Not sure if it would like weird with 2 different colors of tile. What do you guys recommend???

Also, What thickness of Laminate Wood should I purchase if I do go that route. Don't know much about it but don't want something too cheap. I need it to last a long time.

Thanks!!!

PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Many people may consider tile too cold for a bedroom, but having lived in the RGV I realize it may not be a deal breaker.

You are also correct in that the chances of finding the same tile are slim and none.

More information regarding your current foundation and subfloor would be helpful.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
My House has Tile throughout except for the bedrooms. I want to ditch the carpet in the bedrooms but not sure if I should go with a ceramic tile or laminate wood flooring. I don't have any extra pieces of tile & don't think I can get the exact same color to match the rest of the house. That is one of the reason I was leaning towards laminate wood, plus I also like the way it looks. Not sure if it would like weird with 2 different colors of tile. What do you guys recommend???

Also, What thickness of Laminate Wood should I purchase if I do go that route. Don't know much about it but don't want something too cheap. I need it to last a long time.

Thanks!!!
I don't think you want ceramic tile in your bedrooms.

There are a lot of hardwood laminates available, from cheapy junk to really nice stuff. I've gotten good quality laminate on clearance for less than 50 cents/sq ft, and have seen it for upwards of $5.00 per sq ft.

In bedrooms, with heavy traffic, where you want it to last, do NOT go with cheap junk. Get at least 8mm thick.

You might also want to consider pre-stained hardwood flooring. It's going to end up costing a little more, and will be more difficult to install, but it might be a really good choice.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

I'm with Drhicks, lamite will never increase the value of the home, it looks like plastic flooring.
Far better to go with a pre finished engineered flooring. The top layer is real wood, it's long lasting finish, it's more stable then laminite, it's thicker and should just about line up with the level of the tile, can be any one of at least 100 differant types of wood, most can be refinished more then once, installs almost the same as laminite except once the piece is tapped in place it gets nailed to the floor. Once finished it looks like real wood, because it is.
Beware any hard surface flooring will feel cold on your bare feet.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Not real sure about the sub floor. House was built about 4 years ago. It's on slab foundation. I'll look into pre engineered flooring as well. Not looking for the cheapest way but don't have a arm & leg to spend either. What thickness should pre engineered wood be? Do the base boards have to be removed or does the flooring just butt up to them?
PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Baseboards removed

jerzeedivr is offline   Reply With Quote