Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic tile floor prep

Hello Folks,

First time poster here. This looks like a good forum. I did browse through some threads before deciding to post. Apologize if this appears similar to previous threads.

We are remodeling our upstairs bathroom. At this point, I am prepping the floor for ceramic tile. The existing floor consisted of sheet linoleum glued like crazy to 5/8" plywood which is over top of 1/2" plywood subfloor (nailed to the floor joists). In order to remove the linoleum, I ended up ripping out the 5/8" plywood. Now I am in the process of putting down fresh 5/8" plytanium over the 1/2" plywood which orients the 5/8" perpendicular to the joists. Should I be screwing and nailing the 5/8" down? I have 1/4" hardibacker that will be laid in thinset and screwed down over top of the 5/8". I have already started on the nailing of the 5/8" following the nailing that was done on the previous 5/8". Do I need to be hitting the joists on the 5/8" and what is the proper fastening schedule?

Thanks!

sudnvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Ceramic tile floor prep

Should be making sure the seams do not line up with the seams below, not nailing into the joist, every 4" on the outside edges and every 6 to 8' in the field.
Use ring shanked underlaymant nails.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-21-2013), sudnvictory (01-21-2013)