DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

ceramic tile

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  troylee500 
#1 ·
I have .5 plywood and .25 cement board. The grout is always breaking and the tile gets loose, i all ready try the original cement thats use for tile and readyset premixed mastic adhesive and still get same result. This is only happening in one sectio of the living room. Is there any other type of glue thst i can used i was even thing of replacing the grout for caulking.

#2 ·
Troylee500, you will have to give us your numbers in inches to better help you.
But other then that mastic tile glue is not recommended for floor tile.
Did you lay the cement board in thinset + screwed and mesh tape the seams?... Cement board hold no structure for tile so we need to start with what you have as joist size, joist span and how much wood you have over the joists.

#5 · (Edited)
It's needs to come up :( you said 2' feet by 12' feet? They might of cut steps for that section
But it sounds like they didn't put cbu in thinset if they didn't tape the seams therefore the installer would have thought the cement board is what hold structure for tile >~^WRONG!*^%*

Post some pics of your demo. If you leave it it will continue to grout crack.

#12 ·
There called backer-on screws there meant for cement board find them at HD. but it might not be your remedy for this.

So take all the loose grout up and tiles that come up easy, scrap and clean the tile adhesive off. mix modified thinset to like peanut butter consistency
Use 1/4"x 3/8" U notch trowel and put some thinset lines down neatly, place your tile(s) back down and press down gently wile wiggling the tile slightly.

That and some hope see what happens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.