Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

ceramic ove pressure treated

I would like to install ceramic tile over my pressure treated deck. 16 inch centers on 2x10. The home is located at the New Jersey shore. Can this be done?

Gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Tileguy

Not directly on this deck of course. Probably not at all, unless there is the proper slope for water run off.

Pressure treated is not suitable for this purpose. You'd have to use regular exterior grade subfloor, then covered with a cement board and then a membrane either liquid of a product such as Ditra.

The deck needs to be sloped a min. of 1/4" per ft. We would also need to know the unsupported span of the joists to be sure it's not over spanned. We also need to consider wind and other loads such as snow. It also has to be designed with the proper expansion joints as needed.

Tile on an exterior is a pretty risky installation anywhere, more so in colder climates. I probably wouldn't recommend it, especially since I'll bet your deck was built fairly flat.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #3

The deck is 10X20 and is covered, so there is no snow load. What do you think of a DevonStone by EP Henry for this application?
Gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Tileguy

Pavers over a wooden deck? I don't think so!

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote