DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ceramic floor tile on concrete basement floor w/toilet pedestal

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jpcustoms 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am in the process of doing a few updates to my basement. I have a half bath that I've ripped the vinyl sheet & vinyl tile that was on top of it, and have removed as much of the old adhesive as I can. I plan to also replace the toilet, which sits upon a pedestal as you can see in the attached picture, and do a better job removing that adhesive as well.

I had planned to just put down new vinyl tile, but now I'm wanting to put down ceramic tile. The concrete is level and has a minor crack (~1/16th") which I circled in green. Judging by the texture of the concrete, I figure I'm better off putting down tile instead of leveling and smoothing the concrete for vinyl.

I have zero experience doing tile, but I'm not inept and I should be able to get it done. My problem is that I'm an electrical engineer and I tend to over think and research things. I've read so many different threads and points of view that it's all beginning to run together. I've had my bathroom torn up for too long and I need to get it done so I can move on to the next project!

I've lived in the house (built in 1980) 1.5 years and have had no water issues (knock on wood!). I'm on the fence about using Ditra. If I did, how would I handle the toilet pedestal? I plan on tiling the top and vertical surfaces if I can get the concrete cleaned well enough.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Particularly about how to handle the plane transitions at the pedestal.

Picture -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42855804@N06/3982572620/

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.