Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

Cement board seaming - 911!

Hey all, i've been using these forums as an aid to my first home project, replacing our kitchen ceramic tile with a nice looking porcelain tile.

There was a few cracks in the old floor so i decided to tear it up and underneath i found that the tiles were set in mortar and wire mesh. I decided to go with cement board for my new tiles and laid it out with 1/8 - 1/4" gap in between all seams and edges. I used 3x5' Wonderboard with Rona brand polymer modified mortar and cement board screws 6" o/c.

My problem: on the cement board it said that wrapped edges (the 5' edge, long ways) need not be taped/mortared, so for the most part I only taped and mortared where two unwrapped 3' wonderboard edges met. keep in mind i left a small gap between all wonderboard edges, despite what i now see online to butt them and leave gaps at the walls..

1. is the fact that i didnt butt the wonderboards going to be a problem?
2. will the untaped 5' edges be a problem for the tiles ?

If more info is needed please ask, this is an emergency as I am about to lay my tiles right now and dont have any more fiberglass tape!

example of an untaped, wrapped 5' edge

Jeffs1stHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Tileguy

Cement board seaming - 911!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
1. is the fact that i didnt butt the wonderboards going to be a problem?
2. will the untaped 5' edges be a problem for the tiles ?
Where did you read that WonderBoard on floors has to be butted together taped on the 'wrapped 5' sides?

WonderBoard should be gapped 1/8-3/16" on all sides. The un-trimmed 5' sides do not require the special mesh tape, (just the 3' sides), but you can tape all the sides if you want to.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote