Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cement basement floor advise

Hello Pro's!

I need a sounding board for two different ideas I'm considering for my basement. I might also need to ask in the cement area of this forum. So I'm looking to finish my basement. My house is built in 1929 and has a very thin basement cement floor. I'm pretty sure it's more of a 1 inch dust cap rather than a real 4 inch cement floor. There are two areas on the floor that are badly bubbled and raised. They sound hollow. As well as some other smaller areas that have broken up and show the bit of gravel underneath.I don't seem to have any water issues and have never flooded, not even a bit. I'm in NJ btw.

I'm a bit torn here. I want to level the floor so I can install electric raident in floor heating and then tile. If I was going to go the less expensive and less difficult way I would break open the bad parts of the floor with a jack hammer and refill with cement. I would then lay down the heating sheets and cover the whole floor with self leveler, then latex modified thinset, then tile. Oh, I should also make mention that the previous owner painted the floor with some kind of epoxy paint. I would have to scrape that off with either a cement sander or something.. Suggestions please on what to use to that paint off.

OR

Go the expensive route. Pay someone of jack hammer the whole floor and lay a real 4 inch slab. While I was at it going this route, I may also go for French drains and have the rough in done for the basement bathroom leading to an ejection pump as the main drain is 6 inches above the floor. I might also be able to gain a valuable 2 or 3 inches as the current ceiling hight is around 6 foot 7 inch.

I'm looking for some feedback on this. Is the 1 inch dust cap with leveler and tile going to be ok or am I just throwing out Time, money, effort and will need to replace the whole slab anyway. Thanks for the input!

AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,462

I like the second plan----that thin ,old failing floor is no candidate for an expensive heated tile job-----big money at risk----

Remove and re pour----if you do that, consider hydronic heat for the slab---just a thought---might not fit the budget---Mike----

Old 11-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks Mike. As I'm staring at this floor it's really looking like I need to go the second route. Wish I could do the hydro heat. House is on a steam system and I'm not looking to replace it.
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,462

I used a standard water heater for a large floor one time----worked well--the hydronic supplier engineered it for me---rather simple as I recall---I kept in touch with that customer for a few years and they never had an issue---

That was not my choice,I would have preferred using a small boiler.