Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
12 year IBEW member

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

ceaning hardwood floors

How do you do everyday/everyweek cleaning of your hard floors I have real oak floors and and was wondering how other people do it. Mop,broom, roomba, and what do use for cleaning solutions.

heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

ceaning hardwood floors

Ayuh,.......

Murphy's Oil Soap,.........
The directions are right on the bottle,.........
It Cleans real well,+ doesn't leave a film.......
Then,....
Giving it a shot of Ole English Lemon Oil will Really bring out a nice glowing shine too,.....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

ceaning hardwood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.......

Murphy's Oil Soap,.........
The directions are right on the bottle,.........
It Cleans real well,+ doesn't leave a film.......
Then,....
Giving it a shot of Ole English Lemon Oil will Really bring out a nice glowing shine too,.....

Just did my two sets of oak stairs today,Murphy's is #1.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #4

ceaning hardwood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post

Just did my two sets of oak stairs today,Murphy's is #1.
I've been using the Orange Glo hardwood floor cleaner and it seems to dull out the floor. I just bought some Murphy's today, so I'll see if it helps bring back a little shine.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

ceaning hardwood floors

So, first off, I promise I have no affiliation with iRobot.

That being said, I LOVE my Roomba vacuums. Nothing makes me happier than the little tune it plays when it starts; and hearing it hum when it returns to the charger. It works exactly as advertised (what else can promise that?).

I have had reliability issues - see below.

I have three dogs that shed enough to create a fourth. I actually have TWO roombas (one for each floor). They run on an automatic schedule :first floor: 3am, second floor: 10am. I would drown in dog hair without their daily vacuuming. My only regret: roomba doesn't do stairs: I have to sweep them three times a week or they look carpeted.

- It is relatively quiet compared to a normal vacuum.
- I empty it every 3-5 days.
- The dogs don't pay much attention to it, sometimes they will leave the room when it runs.

Caveats:
1. Some amount of pre-cleaning has to be done for Roomba to work well. My theory: don't let it run unless you at least look at the floor. Roomba can't clear itself if it sucks up a sock or paper towel. And you really don't want to hear about 'Poo-ba' (think about it.. three dogs).

2. Roomba has a tendency to get caught on loose electrical cords.

3. Roomba bumps into things (softly) while it runs. I keep one of the IR emitters next to the dog's water dish so, it doesn't knock water out of it. It does not hit hard enough to dent anything, but it does hit hard enough to push an un-latched door open (or closed - sometimes it gets itself caught in a room when it 'closes' the door on itself).

4. Roomba's sensors need to be cleaned periodically (more with heavily soiled floors). I use air duster and windex on mine once a month-or-so.

MOST IMPORTANT - RELIABILITY -
Buy your Roomba from somewhere that gives you a 'lifetime' warranty. DO NOT BUY IT SOMEWHERE THAT WILL NOT TAKE CARE OF YOU. IT IS WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY. It is a lot easier to take your Roomba back where you got it and trade a broken one in for a new one.

In my experience, iRobot is great about customer service. Roomba's reliability has improved over the generations, but it still a relatively complicated little beast. I had three repairs on my first generation Roomba done through iRobot (again, let me stress, they made it easy). I upgraded to a 2nd generation one that had at least one 'service'.

Recently, I bought TWO of the current generation. They seem a little sturdier, less prone to earlier problems, and it is quieter and better at cleaning.

I still want two more for my house (one for the finished attic and basement). And I want one of their 'garage' models- it is very rea$onable.

Woo! As psychotic and long winded as it sounds, I Love my Roombas.

Oh yeah, Murphy's Oil Soap and a micro-fiber mop-head for 'wet' cleaning.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #6

ceaning hardwood floors

Murphy's is great. We give each home owner a Bona Kemi cleaning kit and swear by them.
mpeterson72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
12 year IBEW member

ceaning hardwood floors

THanks for the answers I have a roomba also that we we run a couple times a week we have to watch with our area rug in the we have the sensors also but have to carefull we place them but we do love it. We do have the garage one we got it for free with purchace of the other roomba. We use a hoover floor mate to clean the floor but have not been happy lately with the results. when we first bought it I fell in love with it but now it seems to leave the floor dull. we have used the orange glow refinisher and that sems to work ok but they reecomend using only a couple times a year.
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #8

ceaning hardwood floors

I have been cleaning 6-7000 square foot homes with high end hardwoods for about 10 years now. I have used everything on the market and hated them all in the long run. Lots do well once or twice, but week after week, they dull it.

Mostly, I vacuum, then use a damp washcloth hooked onto a swiffer sweeper. Nothing but water. THis is absolutely the best.

When a shine is needed, the best I have ever used without any buildup over time is Quick Shine. I buy it at Walmart. There are two. One is a quickshine floor shine. The other is a quickshine floor CLEANER. I don't like the cleaner. But the quickshine floor shine applied maybe twice a year and then just a damp cloth/ mop the rest of the time will never fail you and leave them really beautiful. I have homeowners ask me all the time what products I use to get their floors so beautiful. It always amazes them when I tell them it is just water.

Hope this helps. (Oh, yes, I have used murphys. Just can't stand the smell! )
exumjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #9

ceaning hardwood floors

I love the murhpy's too, but HATE the smell as well. It grosses me out when I come in the house and smell it after the house has been closed all day. Someone really should tell them to make a lemon smell or something...
sweetsue777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

ceaning hardwood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsue777 View Post
I love the murhpy's too, but HATE the smell as well. It grosses me out when I come in the house and smell it after the house has been closed all day. Someone really should tell them to make a lemon smell or something...
The Murphys I used has natural orange smell,one step up from lemon for me.

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote