Caulking Tops Of Ceramic Tiles - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Caulking Tops of Ceramic Tiles

I just finished a bathroom tile job. Everything looks great except a couple imperfections I noticed.

1) I did a 5" Tile border around the base of the walls. I caulked the top of the tiles and ran a wet finger along the caulk to even it out. But it looks sloppy against the wall. The excess caulk went around the top side of my finger and makes a messy look. I tried cleaning with a rag but it made matters worse.

Anyway around the sloppy look?

2) I also noticed some of the grout along the tiles didn't spread evenly. Almost looks like it chipped away. You wouldn't notice it unless you got on your hands and knees looked. I try and be a perfectionist when it comes to my own projects so it really bothers me to see this.

Is this something to worry about and what would cause this?

Advertisement

Last edited by nsb318; 02-21-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Addition
nsb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Caulking Tops of Ceramic Tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb318 View Post

1) I did a 5" Tile border around the base of the walls. I caulked the top of the tiles and ran a wet finger along the caulk to even it out. But it looks sloppy against the wall. The excess caulk went around the top side of my finger and makes a messy look. I tried cleaning with a rag but it made matters worse.
Anyway around the sloppy look?
I don't know what you could do now at this point.

But, I always use a bucket of water and a sponge (not a rag) when doing latex or latex caulking with silicone in it. Finger tip is always clean and if there is too much build up, I use the clean, rinsed, damp sponge to wipe it down to a nice straight edge...with a few strokes...

Advertisement