Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Carpeting over asbestos tiles

We are redoing our basement and was torn between ripping up the asbestos tiles down there or just leaving them down. After reading several post from here and other sites, we've decided to just carpet over them. But now I'm wondering how exactly to secure the carpet to the floor.

Obviously, The carpet is help in by the tack strip, but how do I secure the tack strip to the tiles? And what secures the padding to the tiles? Like I said, it's just the asbestos tiles on top of a concrete floor.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by adinezza; 11-21-2010 at 03:09 PM.
adinezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Tileguy

You're obviously not installing the carpeting yourself, so don't worry so much. The carpet installers will nail the tack strip over the tile and the pad will be glued to the floor and taped together. In case the perimeter tiles are not stuck well, you should remove them first.

BTW, it's not asbestos tile. It's either asphalt if they're real old or vinyl asbestos. Asphalt was primarily used well into the '60's, while vinyl asbestos was invented in the mid '50's and evolved into vinyl composition tile in the '80's.

Carpeting in the basement huh. It's a common thing to do of course, but is the basement very dry? Have you done a moisture test? Are you using a pad that is waterproof or just a regular foam pad?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

Many companies that have insurance cannot install over these types of tile. Removal of the tiles is most often needed before installers will go over.
willical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willical View Post
Many companies that have insurance cannot install over these types of tile. Removal of the tiles is most often needed before installers will go over.
Might be true, but I have never run into that. The EPA recommends that you go over the tiles.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #5

I agree with the other pro's here , the only thing I can add is . They have special nails in the tack strip for concrete , It is done regularly ,
Call a carpet installer and ask , I disagree with only one thing ... You can't tell if it is asbesto's or not by looking at it .
Thats why you don't disturb the tiles . Just get a carpet company to go over it , thats what they do , I would also moisture test the floor , the approved way for hardwood is a calcium chloride test . You may want to avoid this test , but if it comes back to bite then you pay for the job twice , I have seen moisture problems , It's not a good thing , I would hire some one that knows about moisture testing .
tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #6

If - and only if - the moisture level down there is properly managed, then go ahead and carpet your basement. Select a synthetic (eg nylon) or olefin carpet - not cotton or wool - and you'll get a good 15-20 years out of a flooring. But:

only if the moisture question is properly controlled.

I didn't say that was easy as it's not. But it is done successfully all the time.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

I have installed thousands of yards of carpet in basements with very few problems. It's all about the moisture.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote