Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Carpeting my hardwood

Hi All,

We have a living room, dining room, and large office that have hardwood floors. We also have a 1 year old and plan on having at least one more in the near future.

Its clear to me that these hardwood floors are going to take a beating, and we have been talking about potentially carpeting the lower level just to protect the hardwood for the next ten years or so. I am new at all this DIY stuff, and have formed an (unfounded haha) opinion that the wall to wall carpeting would be too hard for me to DIY.

Does anyone have any opinions on A. my plans to protect the hardwood or B. whether or not I could do it myself?

teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Carpeting my hardwood

With a dog and twins, I can tell you that your hardwood will take a beating. If you like the look of the wood > than carpet though, just know in your mind that you will be paying to have it refinished once you kids get beyond the "beating" stage. You may find that the price of refinishing the floors will be less than the price of buying/installing carpeting. Plus, carpet in dining rooms is destined to get full of yuck, especially with kids.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
teamcampreder (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Carpeting my hardwood

Good to know... Maybe just buying a real big area rug for the living room and maybe a runner on the stairs would be my best bet. Thanks! I love bouncing things off you guys its always such solid advice.
teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,596

Carpeting my hardwood

With or without carpet in ten years you will be refinishing the hardwood. One of the down sides to carpet is they hold water and water on hardwood especially oak will leave black spots and some may never come out even after refinishing. I like the throw or area rugs as they can be moved and cleaned under.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Carpeting my hardwood

With your baby on the verge of mobility inexpensive area rugs are definitely the way to go. Your busy toddler will spill everyday and you may find that you want to change them out a couple of times a year. Enjoy! The precious sweet years go by sooo quick
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Carpeting my hardwood

I hate to see people carpet over hardwood. I would definitely buy some nice area rugs with non-slip material underneath instead. As the kids grow, toss them if they are destroyed with Kool Aid stains and heaven knows what else. The other problem with rugs and carpets is alergens, dust mites and things.

Only possible problem is fading of the wood that is exposed around the perimiter. You might want to think about re-finishing the floors before getting rugs if the budget will allow. Lay down a nice poly finish with lots of UV protection.

If you decide to carpet, wall to wall carpeting is probably not a DIY project although you can buy all the stuff and rent a kicker and all the tools.

I've done little rooms when I could not get anybody out on the schedule I had to hold. I didn't save any money. Hard on the knees for one thing. I did very simple rectangular rooms and when it comes to seaming things together, cutting for closets and so forth? Call a pro. You might save a bit finding your own installer (most are independents and not actually employed directly by flooring suppliers) and buying carpet and padding as a separate transaction. Not to take business from your legitimate independent flooring dealer but if a box store is your source you might as well measure carefully, send a floorplan and buy online. It will save you quite a bit. Or work through an interior designer.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Carpeting my hardwood

For large area rugs, stop by some local carpet places and take a look at their remnants. Most will have a contracted person/company that can bind the edges and turn the remnant of carpet into an area rug. That's what we did in our family room and saved hundreds over buying a large area rug.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote