Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #1

Share |

Carpeted floor creaking - suggestions/experience?

Hi all,

I've got a carpeted floor that's creaking, and was wondering if someone had good experience with a good way to fix it, preferably without having to pull up the carpet and without having the fix visible. I was thinking there might be some kind of special nail or screw, but not sure, and if there is was wondering if anyone had good or bad experience with it/them.

Thanks.

WolfStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #2

Take a look at this.

jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #3

$27 for a thing that you will only use once or twice seems a bit much plus theres a good chance you could go through a water pipe. It would be easier to just pull the carpet back get a screw and a screwdriver, get a tin of spray adhesive from any carpet shop 5 max. Screw the creaking board down spray the edge of the floor where you pulled the carpet from, push out any bubbles in the carpet as you put it back then tuck the carpet back down at the base boards and thats it.

http://carpetfittingguide.com
orateyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #4

Quote:
plus theres a good chance you could go through a water pipe.

And there's no chance of going through a water pipe if you do this:

Quote:
just pull the carpet back get a screw and a screwdriver
??

What's the difference besides $27?

No matter how well you may think you stretched the carpet back and glued it down, it won't be the same as when it was power stretched and installed.

Also, what if the creak is in the middle of the floor? You going to pull back half a room of carpet and have it look like $H1+ forever to save $27?

To each his own, but it's $27 well spent IMHO.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 AM   #5

I would personaly pull the carpet back and have done in the past to get to a creaking floorboard. I just dont like the idea of screwing through carpet to screw a board down.1 How do you know that when the screw goes through the floorboard that it is screwing into anything underneath,if its not, you will still have a creaking floorboard and then you would have to try again and again till you get it right.2 after screwing through carpet it may look ok for a little while but after so long it WILL start to fray and come apart, I have seen it to many times I have been a carpet fitter for 10 years.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Actually,

JNP had a good solution for the original poster. The question they asked revolved around a remedy that required NOT pulling the carpet up.

$27.00 is a relatively inexpensive fix when you consider what it would cost to pay someone (like a handyman) to come out and fix it for you.

It's not that difficult to locate the floor joists by simply looking underneath the area, & noting the locations on paper (measurements).

The suggestion for the snap-off screws is actually a very common means used to fix sqeaking floors covered in carpet. The carpet WILL NOT fray at those locations.

The average home owner doesn't possess a carpet stretcher or the skill level to properly re-stretch and re-install a pulled back carpet to it's proper fit.

The average home owner can: measure and screw in fasteners with ease....

http://www.squeaknomore.com/

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-21-2007 at 05:37 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 AM   #7

Your options for a fix partially depends on the type of floor joist you have. If you have solid wood joist and access to the underside of the floor you could always use a small Kreg Jig, to put screws in to pull the floor down. Don't try this if you have engineered "I" joist.

I don't think I'd cut the carpet either...and the item JNP offered, will only have a hole the size of the screw through the carpet and it will not fray.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #8

Hi again I didn't thinking this would come to a debait I just tryed to give my opinion but here we go. I dont know what it is like anywere else but here in the UK ceilings are plasterd so if you look underneath you will still have no clue where the joists are so pulling back the carpet to find where to screw in to would be the only solution unless you can suggest a better way to find the joists without buying more equipment. Check this out and this is what I found by a google search.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #9

check out the link here iv put a post on asking about this.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #10

So defensive..., relax brother. There's nothing wrong with a good FRIENDLY (or at least polite) debate.

I understand about finding the joists, but if you look at the package you get (or at least used to get) with the squeek-no-more kit, you'll see it includes a long (like 4 or 5 inches) screw with a short (maybe 1 inch) length of threads on it. That is for finding blind joists, start the screw in, if it goes in the first inch and then stops and spins, that's not a joist. If it goes in the first inch, and then the second, and the third, and eventually all the way in...that IS a joist. It shouldn't take too many shots to find one and after you've found one, you can find 'em all.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #11
weekend warrior

So are the noises only caused by loose subflooring? you simply refasten the plywood to the joist?

I have the same problem but the subfloor is exposed for now, should I just use screws?
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #12

Quote:
So are the noises only caused by loose subflooring?
Normally, yes. More exactly, it's usually the plywood rubbing up and down on the nails.

you simply refasten the plywood to the joist?

Yes, if you can pull the nails and replace with screws, then great. If you can't, just put a screw on each side of each nail (yes 2 screws per nail may be overkill, but right now you can get to the subfloor. Later on you won't have that option.)

I have the same problem but the subfloor is exposed for now, should I just use screws?

Yes, regular screws with heads are better than break-away screws without heads.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
remodeling pro

The best thing is to pull the carpet back, and screw down the entire subfloor, then have it professionally restretched and reseamed at the doorway if needed. Locate the screws close to the existing nail heads, and remove any nail heads that protrude above the floor after you tighten the screw; do not hammer them back down. Then walk up and down the lines of the floor joists several times. Any nail heads that show movement should be removed. The problems with trying to fix this through the carpet are, you must locate the hidden floor joists to send the screw into, chances are that when a floor starts squeeking there is more than one problem area, and you cannot remove the loose nails, which are the source of the problem. Also check all of the seams in the plywood subfloor for movement. If the floor is not T & G plywood and not blocked under all seams, the edges of the sheets will sometimes squeek when they flex against each other. Set the depth on a circular saw and run it through these tightly butting edges so they cannot rub.
If you really want to try through the carpet, you can do the same principle as you would get from the mentioned tool, by sending a 2 1/4" trim head screw (use square drive) through the carpet and padding. When you think you have located the joist, have someone spread the carpet fibers so you can screw through the backing without twisting up the fibers, and proceed. As I said, finding the joist is easier said than done. Hitting a water pipe is a non issue IMO, they should be no where near the range of the screw.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote