Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #1

Share |

Carpet waves

Two small "waves" appeared in the middle of the master bedroom carpet about a year ago. The carpet has lifted up off the subfloor in the form of a long wave basically. They have grown now to the point where they are almost a tripping hazard. What the heck is going on? House is only about 3 years old so carpet was brand new. Did they not stretch it properly when they installed it? Strange because this is the only spot in the house where it's happening. Carpet is a California berber if that makes a difference. What is the solution?

sk8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Boz
Gus

Carpet waves

Improper stretching, sliding heavy furniture, delamination.

Restretch.

Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

Carpet waves

So is this normally a DIY job? The extent of my carpet laying experience involves watching installers put it in. I don't own a power stretcher or knee kicker. That means I would have to rent/buy this to do 1 fix. Any idea what it would cost to have a carpet guy come out and fix it? Probably a 20-30 minute job for someone that knows what they're doing i'm guessing.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Boz
Gus

Carpet waves

Hire someone. If just a minimum charge fix, shouldn't be much, call around and ask. Mine is $65.00, more if lots of furniture.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Tileguy

Carpet waves

It's the bed and what you do while in the bed, it's not the carpet. Get it fixed then get some sliders for the feet of the bed.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #6

Carpet waves

Quote:
It's the bed and what you do while in the bed, it's not the carpet. Get it fixed then get some sliders for the feet of the bed.
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but that's great. If my wife and I are "talented" enough to move a large and extremely heavy king size bed enough to cause carpet problems, we're in the wrong professions.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Tileguy

Carpet waves

I'm serious as a heart attack. Beds have a tendency for the legs to spread very slightly (don't go there) when weight is added and movement is applied. It happens to most all beds. Tossing and turning during the night will cause floor tiles to creep and carpets to mound up. Seen it hundreds of times over the years.

You need to find a means of keeping the legs of the bed from digging and gripping the carpet.

Now before you go to pounding your chest I'll also tell you, you see this a lot in nursing homes with tile floors. The tiles creep and walk and separate if the beds aren't on wheels/rollers.

Nothing else in the free world taxes spans and stresses support engineering like a bed. If that sucker had six legs it wouldn't be happening.

Seriously!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Boz
Gus

Carpet waves

Good point Bud, just proves you are never to old to learn something new, makes perfect sense. I can't wait to explain this to a customer, tactfully, of course. Also explains why I must restretch my own bedroom weekly.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Carpet waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8z View Post
So is this normally a DIY job? The extent of my carpet laying experience involves watching installers put it in. I don't own a power stretcher or knee kicker. That means I would have to rent/buy this to do 1 fix. Any idea what it would cost to have a carpet guy come out and fix it? Probably a 20-30 minute job for someone that knows what they're doing i'm guessing.
There is more to stretching carpet and getting it tight than meets the eye. Hire a carpet guy, especially to deal with berber. Snag and pull one wrong thread and you have a run half way across the room.
Perhaps it could have been stretched tighter, but some brands just seem more prone to this a few years down the road. The carpet in my house (non berber), laid perfect for 6 years, then started doing the same thing.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-18-2008 at 09:30 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #10

Carpet waves

Your so right!

Pad can be the culprit . Or even over stretching, if the primary backing gets overtsretched it can cause wrinkles down the line.

Sound advice, hire a carpetguy for a restretch
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #11

Carpet waves

Great responses, thanks everyone. A professional carpet guy it will be.

Quote:
Nothing else in the free world taxes spans and stresses support engineering like a bed. If that sucker had six legs it wouldn't be happening.
Actually Bud, the bed has 4 legs along with 4 additional supports that run down the middle that contact the floor. Guess i'll have to look into 8 sliders for this thing.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Tileguy

Carpet waves

Just remember!

It's not a trampoline.