Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carpet in waterproofed basement

Hey guys. Officially new to the forum but I've gotten many answers here over the years.

Ok so here's the situation. Had a flooding basement, your typical 2-3 a year but more than acceptable deal. Fixed the PVC underground water network on the inside but eventually realized that I had to get a complete perimeter interior drain tile system with sump pump. It was pricey of course, but I'm in an urban setting and didn't have many options in terms of exterior grading etc. So now after many heavy rain tests I'm in the process of refinishing the basement. (It was finished but I ripped out pretty much everything because it was rotted/moldy. I was left with some studs and of course the electrical etc)

We went back on forth on different flooring options and thought floating laminate floors might be nice. Over time, and hours of work down there, I thought...why not low pile carpet. That will warm the room up and reduce the amount of DIY I have to do.

So my question is, other than the obvious if-it-floods-you-are-in-trouble is there a disadvantage to putting carpet down in a basement?

There is a slate floor already there that I'm going to use a subfloor, install a vapor barrier on top of the slate, then use an inorganic underlayment.

Any disadvantages I should know of?

I know flooding can ALWAYS somehow happen but I'm rolling the dice based on my interior drain tile system with TWO sump pumps, dedicated circuit and battery back up system.
Thanks!

kc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc45 View Post
Hey guys. Officially new to the forum but I've gotten many answers here over the years.

Ok so here's the situation. Had a flooding basement, your typical 2-3 a year but more than acceptable deal. Fixed the PVC underground water network on the inside but eventually realized that I had to get a complete perimeter interior drain tile system with sump pump. It was pricey of course, but I'm in an urban setting and didn't have many options in terms of exterior grading etc. So now after many heavy rain tests I'm in the process of refinishing the basement. (It was finished but I ripped out pretty much everything because it was rotted/moldy. I was left with some studs and of course the electrical etc)

We went back on forth on different flooring options and thought floating laminate floors might be nice. Over time, and hours of work down there, I thought...why not low pile carpet. That will warm the room up and reduce the amount of DIY I have to do.

So my question is, other than the obvious if-it-floods-you-are-in-trouble is there a disadvantage to putting carpet down in a basement?

There is a slate floor already there that I'm going to use a subfloor, install a vapor barrier on top of the slate, then use an inorganic underlayment.

Any disadvantages I should know of?

I know flooding can ALWAYS somehow happen but I'm rolling the dice based on my interior drain tile system with TWO sump pumps, dedicated circuit and battery back up system.
Thanks!
Forget the laminate...any moisture (flooding? oh my gosh!!) will ruin the floor, and you've wasted a lot of time and money. Carpet (low pile, high pile whatever...) well, it will make the room nice and cozy(er), but again, if that sucker gets moisture or water, you are going to have one stinky basement! Not to mention a mold problem. Best option here is ceramic or better yet, porcelain tile. Warm up the room with area rugs, make it attractive and pretty. On the other hand, with all those preventative measures you have, well, you are still "rolling the dice" but they have decreased the chances of a flood. Weigh it out. Ask, Ohmike, Rusty baker, or Budcline for more installation details too. Hey, when you say there is a slate floor, do you mean like, SLATE, the pretty natural stone or something else? If you have that and it's the slate tile, (12 x 12 or 16 x 16?) that needs to be removed first.

ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr13r View Post
Forget the laminate...any moisture (flooding? oh my gosh!!) will ruin the floor, and you've wasted a lot of time and money. Carpet (low pile, high pile whatever...) well, it will make the room nice and cozy(er), but again, if that sucker gets moisture or water, you are going to have one stinky basement! Not to mention a mold problem. Best option here is ceramic or better yet, porcelain tile. Warm up the room with area rugs, make it attractive and pretty. On the other hand, with all those preventative measures you have, well, you are still "rolling the dice" but they have decreased the chances of a flood. Weigh it out. Ask, Ohmike, Rusty baker, or Budcline for more installation details too. Hey, when you say there is a slate floor, do you mean like, SLATE, the pretty natural stone or something else? If you have that and it's the slate tile, (12 x 12 or 16 x 16?) that needs to be removed first.
Thanks for the thoughts. I hear you on the tile but my wife and I decided if we were going to spend all the money to get the room fitted with the interior drain tile etc, we wanted it to seem warmer, less basement. No matter how you spruce up tile in a basement it screams "it sometimes floods", to me.
It is slate yes, but its all even and the entire perimeter of the basement is just concrete now. When they jackhammer and install the drain tile, they destroy the floor and patch it with concrete. Why would you need to remove it first?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #4

If the slate is level..then it should be all good! ...the preferable padding for carpet is 8 lb and 7/16 thick. You shouldn't feel any grout lines then.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Thanks for your input! Anyone have experience using a vapor barrier and then carpet padding on top of it? They sell expensive solutions like Dri-Core but I wonder if this is just a bit of a gimmick...?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

I wouldn't bother with the vapor barrier. Some carpet pads have moisture barriers attached. For your install, you should think about getting a pad that has an antimicrobial treatment as well. Plus get a de-humidifier in the basement. I hope this helps you. Try googling "basement carpeting" for more info.