Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #1

Share |

Carpet Seam help

I have to pull up some carpet in our Master Bedroom to get at the subfloor. The subfloor came up in one corner and I need to see if I have to replace part of the subfloor or is it something I can just screw back down. It's near the wall so I was able to pull the carpet back and get my hand under it so I can feel the piece of subfloor that came up.

The subfloor is popping up in 2 different places, both against the wall, thankfully it's not in the middle of the room.

One spot is right near the doorway to the hallway but the carpet there is seamed together with the hallway carpet.

Other spot is near the closet entrance but no seam is currently there. I need to cut a seam in the closet doorway and then pull the carpet back to get at the subfloor there.

I've had 3 different contractors come by to look at it and no one wants to touch it, they all say they don't do much carpeting work so I was worried about trying to tackle this myself.

What exactly do I need to do this correctly? A seam iron? I just basically have to cut the seam and put it back down again but is this very difficult?

Also, do I need one of those carpet "kickers"? Thanks for your replies....

Goldglv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Carpet Seam help

One of the big boxes or a regular carpet store in your area should have some seam tape that is peel and stick. It would not work to stretch from but should work in your case.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Carpet Seam help

rusty knows carpet. what he says will work. good luck.
just tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Carpet Seam help

They are just cutting apart an existing seam in a closet doorway. It is not rocket science. It will be fine, if they put it back together with adhesive seam tape. I have installed carpet for 37 years. I know what I am talking about.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Tileguy

Carpet Seam help

It's kind of odd that a subfloor would pop up near a wall because the walls are usually built on top of the floor sheathing. I'm wondering if maybe there is an underlayment there for some reason installed over the subfloor that was cut to the walls and not under them. You may be able to nail the underlayment back down with some finish-nails right through the carpet. Thread a nail through the carpet backing then drive it with a hammer and see if there is a second layer under the popping layer. Don't trap any of the fibers with the nail and it will never show.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #6

Carpet Seam help

probably a seam in subfloor that runs under the wall and the nails have worked loose. not that uncommon.good luck.
just tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #7

Carpet Seam help

Sorry guys....what I meant was the subfloor that popped up is NEAR the wall, not against it, my fault. I just meant that it's close enough to the wall where I don't have to peel back a lot of carpet. But I will try the peel and stick tape, thanks for all of your replies!

Goldglv is offline   Reply With Quote