Carpet Questions - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 282
Question

Carpet Questions

I am looking at some new carbet for my downstairs den. The den is on a slab above ground. The den is reasonably high traffic. I was at this store that had a sale on carpet. And was looking at some inexpensive berber (I don't want to spend a bundle because I could tear everything up in a couple of years. I liked this berber because it had a nice soft feel. The salesman immediately steered me toward a berber that was twice as expensive and said the harder it is the more long lasting. Then I immediately left.

First, what is the going rate for padding, what is the bare minimum that I should be looking for as far as quality in carpet if I want something for a couple of years maybe a little more. How can I tell if I am really looking at cheap or worthless carpet?

Advertisement

Last edited by tripower; 06-26-2010 at 11:40 AM.
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Carpet Questions

Here's a couple of things to bear in mind for your situation:

You say 'downstairs den over slab above ground'; that says to me that the moisture level at the floor level will be higher than normal inside your house. Therefore, wool and cotton carpets are out - as are orientals. Natural fibres would rot. You are left with synthetic, man-made fibres like nylon or olefin.

Then you say 'high traffic'; an olefin will show traffic lanes much sooner than a nylon would, so I would knock out olefin. That leaves nylon. High traffic is best suited to a high density nylon, something that would by definition spring back to its original shape no matter what the traffic load.

You saw two 'berbers'. Berber is a type of weave, not a fibre. So you can get olefin berbers as you can get nylon berbers. Berbers are made in loops, with a natural built-in springiness to them that looks good and shrugs off traffic wear, but not for long; also hides dirt.

So, a nylon berber is one choice. Or a simple nylon, tufted carpet of high quality.

But no matter what you end up taking, keeping it vacuumed regularly and professionally cleaned every 18 months or so is the singlemost best thing you can do to prolong it's life.

Count about 15 years before it needs a change.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Carpet Questions

Carpet pad prices vary widely depending on where you live. I would suggest a 7/16 8 lb.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #4

Exclamation

Carpet Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Carpet pad prices vary widely depending on where you live. I would suggest a 7/16 8 lb.
Well they were talking to me about $.50 a sq. foot, and that is padding without an moisture barrier.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Exclamation

Carpet Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Here's a couple of things to bear in mind for your situation:

You say 'downstairs den over slab above ground'; that says to me that the moisture level at the floor level will be higher than normal inside your house. Therefore, wool and cotton carpets are out - as are orientals. Natural fibres would rot. You are left with synthetic, man-made fibres like nylon or olefin.

Then you say 'high traffic'; an olefin will show traffic lanes much sooner than a nylon would, so I would knock out olefin. That leaves nylon. High traffic is best suited to a high density nylon, something that would by definition spring back to its original shape no matter what the traffic load.

You saw two 'berbers'. Berber is a type of weave, not a fibre. So you can get olefin berbers as you can get nylon berbers. Berbers are made in loops, with a natural built-in springiness to them that looks good and shrugs off traffic wear, but not for long; also hides dirt.

So, a nylon berber is one choice. Or a simple nylon, tufted carpet of high quality.

But no matter what you end up taking, keeping it vacuumed regularly and professionally cleaned every 18 months or so is the singlemost best thing you can do to prolong it's life.

Count about 15 years before it needs a change.

Thanks for all of the great info. Yeah, I was looking at nylon already and I don't think moisture is of great concern because there is thin tile underneath the carpet.